fertilizing bare root vandas
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

fertilizing bare root vandas
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #41  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Susie11 Susie11 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London
Age: 49
Posts: 682
Default

Sorry to ask a non related question but the newest leaf on my Vanda was about 1cm shorter than the others. I grow under lights and this is the first leaf that has finish growing since I put it under the daylight bulb. Does it matter? It is growing roots like crazy but I just wonder if it is getting enough light? I couldn't give it any more since it is already close to the bulb.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
lambelkip lambelkip is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Zone: 9b
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie11 View Post
Sorry to ask a non related question but the newest leaf on my Vanda was about 1cm shorter than the others. I grow under lights and this is the first leaf that has finish growing since I put it under the daylight bulb. Does it matter? It is growing roots like crazy but I just wonder if it is getting enough light? I couldn't give it any more since it is already close to the bulb.
oh no!
growing shorter leaves is usually the result of higher light levels, not lower light levels. I suspect the leaves are also a lighter color (yellowish green)

the other possibility is a change in nutrient availability/fertilizer use.

as long as it appears healthy, I would not worry about it.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Susie11 liked this post
  #43  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM
CR7cristiano CR7cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,347
Default

1cm isn't enough to make a fuss about. Don't worry about that. What's the age of your vanda approximately; if mature a stronger lumen bulb could help. Minimum 6 hrs of light, or up to 8. But your plant seems very happy.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Susie11 liked this post
  #44  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Susie11 Susie11 is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London
Age: 49
Posts: 682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambelkip View Post
oh no!
growing shorter leaves is usually the result of higher light levels, not lower light levels. I suspect the leaves are also a lighter color (yellowish green)

the other possibility is a change in nutrient availability/fertilizer use.

as long as it appears healthy, I would not worry about it.
well it is the same colour but it is about 1mm thicker than the previous one. There also appears to be a more noticeable kink in it as well. I shall just ignore it then. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR7cristiano View Post
1cm isn't enough to make a fuss about. Don't worry about that. What's the age of your vanda approximately; if mature a stronger lumen bulb could help. Minimum 6 hrs of light, or up to 8. But your plant seems very happy.
I don't know the exact age but it is a mature sized Vanda. The new leaf seems strong and thick so I guess it is just fine.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
CR7cristiano CR7cristiano is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,347
Default

Yea, it seems just fine.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Susie11 liked this post
  #46  
Old 08-26-2022, 12:31 PM
Gerard Harbison Gerard Harbison is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2022
Posts: 1
fertilizing bare root vandas
Default

Just an addendum to a very old thread. I was fascinated how many people had good luck with seaweed extract on bare-root Vandas. So I tried misting with my usual orchid fertilizer (Jack's; nothing special) but adding in a low concentration of sodium alginate. Alginate is sold by nutrition stores and is extracted from kelp. It makes water gel at very low concentrations. My theory was that if it made the fertilizer solution dry to a gel on the roots, rather than to inorganic microcrystals, that would keep the fertilizer avaiable and the roots less susceptible to damage from locally high salt concentrations.

Based on a month's experience, it seems to work very well. Anyone else tried this?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bare, extract, fertilizer, root, vandas, fertilizing


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V. Taweewan x V. Ponpimol Hybrid w/ apparent root growth issue CR7cristiano Vanda Alliance - others 4 05-14-2012 02:08 PM
Bare Root or Potted? ardera Vanda Alliance - others 2 10-23-2010 01:34 PM
Phal root rot, what should I do now? playtime8978 Beginner Discussion 5 03-07-2009 09:49 AM
Soaking/reviving bare root orchids? Becca Beginner Discussion 6 06-17-2007 07:50 PM
Hot weather, to bare root or not to bare root? Charles Beginner Discussion 5 03-28-2007 11:41 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.