Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.


Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #11  
Old 11-29-2022, 01:20 AM
tmoney's Avatar
tmoney tmoney is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2021
Zone: 8b
Location: Dusseldorf, DE
Posts: 922
Male
Default

howdy! also gonna say the plant looked a little thirsty. but also, to help the water retention, it seems helpful to soak the bark for a couple days before using. but certainly, based on very limited trials and a bunch of research, you don’t have to water plants in moss nearly as much. we follow the soak for 15-30 minutes once a week routine, and in our conditions it seems perfect for most phals. may need more in summer depending on your situation. good luck!
__________________
absolute noob....tmoney
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes lambo1972 liked this post
  #12  
Old 11-29-2022, 12:18 PM
lambo1972 lambo1972 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 38
Default

Again Thank you all! This little orchid grew LONG air roots. And as mentioned they do look, and are shriveled and dry. Far as I can remember, it was tightly packed in moss and in my lack of experience, I over watered it at first and lost roots below the plants. I just don't like moss. So when I get a new orchid planted in moss, after it's done flowering, I repot it. And all of my phals are going nuts right now. Growing roots and flower spikes. Alabama is the perfect place for Phals, I think. I just hope my new oncidiums will appreciate our climate. Far as I can tell, oncidiums have different water requirements and maybe some different light and temps. Still learning. This is fun and challenging!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-29-2022, 03:32 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is online now
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 10,518
Female
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo1972 View Post
Again Thank you all! This little orchid grew LONG air roots. And as mentioned they do look, and are shriveled and dry. Far as I can remember, it was tightly packed in moss and in my lack of experience, I over watered it at first and lost roots below the plants. I just don't like moss. So when I get a new orchid planted in moss, after it's done flowering, I repot it. And all of my phals are going nuts right now. Growing roots and flower spikes. Alabama is the perfect place for Phals, I think. I just hope my new oncidiums will appreciate our climate. Far as I can tell, oncidiums have different water requirements and maybe some different light and temps. Still learning. This is fun and challenging!
You're right... Oncidiums need to stay damp. The trick that I use to avoid having to put watering on different schedules (which becomes impossible as your collection gets larger, which it will... ) is to tweak the potting mix. So I'll use large bark for Catts, medium bark for Phals, and small bark for Oncidiums. Then, the same frequency of watering will let the Catts dry out, the Phals "almost dry out but get humid air at the roots" and the Oncidiums stay damp.

As for learning, there's enough for a lifetime... That, for me, is what makes the hobby so interesting - and addicting.
__________________
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Roberta's Orchids (Visit my back yard)

See what orchid species are blooming in Southern California(New page for February 2023)
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes lambo1972 liked this post
  #14  
Old 11-29-2022, 03:34 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 16,221
Male
Default

Watering in moss is very different from watering in bark. With moss, do not soak the medium. Wait until the top inch is crisp dry. Run water over the top for a second or two, no more. The water will diffuse through the moss leaving it just moist, with plenty of air.

Under some conditions of heat and low humidity orchids may use enough water that soaking the moss is reasonable, but this is rare for Phals.

Intergeneric Oncidium hybrids may have ancestors accustomed to different temperature ranges. Most are fairly tolerant, but some definitely prefer warmer or cooler temperatures. It can help to look up ancestry of hybrids on orchidroots.com . They all want to stay at least moist, never drying completely.
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes lambo1972 liked this post
  #15  
Old 11-29-2022, 04:59 PM
lambo1972 lambo1972 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
You're right... Oncidiums need to stay damp. The trick that I use to avoid having to put watering on different schedules (which becomes impossible as your collection gets larger, which it will... ) is to tweak the potting mix. So I'll use large bark for Catts, medium bark for Phals, and small bark for Oncidiums. Then, the same frequency of watering will let the Catts dry out, the Phals "almost dry out but get humid air at the roots" and the Oncidiums stay damp.

As for learning, there's enough for a lifetime... That, for me, is what makes the hobby so interesting - and addicting.
Thank you! I think you have given me this suggestion before and you that has prompted me to get all my orchids in a variety of mix. I'd like to get all my oncidiums in fine bark as you suggest, but none came potted in fine bark. In early October, I got a Zygo Jumpin Jack, and an Aliceara Hilo Ablaze 'Hilo Gold'. More recently than that, I ordered a Twinkle Pink Profusion, and a Heaven Scent Redolence is in route. I guess I went a little nuts after attending a local orchid show. The Zygo seems to be doing fine in medium bark mix and I water it twice a week and it's still growing strong, pretty roots and all. The Aliceara came in a medium mix and did not look happy. I repotted it quickly in fine bark mix and it seems to be hanging on but I think the roots dried out in shipping. I water it twice a week too. The Twinkle is a tiny plant and loosely packed in moss. I water it when almost dry, every couple of days, but will likely try fine bark mix when it drops the flowers and stem it came with. It's a process and I'm learning! Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by estación seca View Post
Watering in moss is very different from watering in bark. With moss, do not soak the medium. Wait until the top inch is crisp dry. Run water over the top for a second or two, no more. The water will diffuse through the moss leaving it just moist, with plenty of air.

Under some conditions of heat and low humidity orchids may use enough water that soaking the moss is reasonable, but this is rare for Phals.

Intergeneric Oncidium hybrids may have ancestors accustomed to different temperature ranges. Most are fairly tolerant, but some definitely prefer warmer or cooler temperatures. It can help to look up ancestry of hybrids on orchidroots.com . They all want to stay at least moist, never drying completely.
Thank you! We have talked about some of these things when you first gave me help when I joined Orchid Board. Super fun stuff and very helpful!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
continuing, moss, orchid, roots, windowsill


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Continuing our "Bench-Space Reclamation" Effort Ray Orchid Lounge 0 09-05-2014 08:36 AM
Phal is done for? continuing root rot lauraeli Beginner Discussion 22 06-14-2014 03:23 PM
Ludiscia Discolor issue continuing... Paul Mc Beginner Discussion 8 01-08-2011 04:00 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.