What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf?
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf?
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 07-10-2021, 10:42 AM
DenmanNJ DenmanNJ is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Zone: 7a
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 62
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf? Male
Default What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf?

This is one of my Phalaenopsis species - ID TAG LOST - Does anyone know what is going on with this leaf ?
Attached Thumbnails
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf?-img_20210710_102847723-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2021, 03:04 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf?
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 13,559
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf? Male
Default

This kind of Phal, with stems producing flowers for many months to years, likes high temperatures and humidity. It is susceptible to spider mites. I would check for spider mites. I would also wonder about physical damage - bumping or scraping the leaf, or sunburn.

Take a tissue, press it under a leaf near the stem, and run it to the leaf tip. With spider mites you will see brown or red streaks. They also often leave very fine cobwebs under the leaves.

Treatment is a stiff spray of water, 70% alcohol or dish soap solution (1 tsp /5ml in a quart /liter of water.) You need to treat every few days for 3-4 treatments to get them all.0
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes SouthPark liked this post
  #3  
Old 07-10-2021, 03:27 PM
DenmanNJ DenmanNJ is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Zone: 7a
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 62
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf? Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estación seca View Post
This kind of Phal, with stems producing flowers for many months to years, likes high temperatures and humidity. It is susceptible to spider mites. I would check for spider mites. I would also wonder about physical damage - bumping or scraping the leaf, or sunburn.

Take a tissue, press it under a leaf near the stem, and run it to the leaf tip. With spider mites you will see brown or red streaks. They also often leave very fine cobwebs under the leaves.

Treatment is a stiff spray of water, 70% alcohol or dish soap solution (1 tsp /5ml in a quart /liter of water.) You need to treat every few days for 3-4 treatments to get them all.0
No signs of spider mites. I spoke with a friend of mine who grows orchids in his greenhouse - he said this Phal exhibits signs of sun damage. So I treated it with Epsom salts and moved it away from the window.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-10-2021, 05:13 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 4,641
Default

Finding out the cause or causes of issues with leaves etc will require enough information about the plant's environment - temperature (not just ambient temperature, but temperature of leaves, roots, media etc too) ----- humidity, air-movement, fertilising schedule, mag-cal schedule, media used, watering schedule, watering method, how long the orchid has been growing in that spot for etc.

Spider mites are indeed devastating on phals and lots of other orchids. Got to really watch out for them.

As for lighting levels ----- definitely that is where leaf temperature is a consideration. The light energy heats the leaves (the cells etc) and the heat can create issues with the health of the orchid if the levels are too much, or too much for too long.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes Shadeflower liked this post
  #5  
Old 07-10-2021, 06:51 PM
DenmanNJ DenmanNJ is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Zone: 7a
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 62
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf? Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPark View Post
Finding out the cause or causes of issues with leaves etc will require enough information about the plant's environment - temperature (not just ambient temperature, but temperature of leaves, roots, media etc too) ----- humidity, air-movement, fertilising schedule, mag-cal schedule, media used, watering schedule, watering method, how long the orchid has been growing in that spot for etc.

Spider mites are indeed devastating on phals and lots of other orchids. Got to really watch out for them.

As for lighting levels ----- definitely that is where leaf temperature is a consideration. The light energy heats the leaves (the cells etc) and the heat can create issues with the health of the orchid if the levels are too much, or too much for too long.
WOW. Fascinating.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2021, 07:43 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf?
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 13,559
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf? Male
Default

Different orchids need different light levels. Phals do well if sun rays never touch their leaves. If you put your hand between the light source and the Phal, and see only an indistinct shadow, that is enough for them.
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes SouthPark liked this post
  #7  
Old 07-10-2021, 07:59 PM
DenmanNJ DenmanNJ is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Zone: 7a
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 62
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf? Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estación seca View Post
Different orchids need different light levels. Phals do well if sun rays never touch their leaves. If you put your hand between the light source and the Phal, and see only an indistinct shadow, that is enough for them.
All of my Phals are in front of a window but never receive direct rays of the sun on their leaves - so the jury is still out as to what those "yellow" spots are on my Phals leaf.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2021, 08:10 PM
SouthPark's Avatar
SouthPark SouthPark is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2018
Member of:AOS
Location: Australia, North Queensland
Posts: 4,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenmanNJ View Post
All of my Phals are in front of a window but never receive direct rays of the sun on their leaves - so the jury is still out as to what those "yellow" spots are on my Phals leaf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenmanNJ View Post
I spoke with a friend of mine who grows orchids in his greenhouse - he said this Phal exhibits signs of sun damage. So I treated it with Epsom salts and moved it away from the window.
I assumed that it might have been due to sun energy - such as direct light heating up the leaf too much.

But - because we didn't know anything about how this orchid was actually being grown, only some comments could be made about what your friend mentioned - and also on your response to what your friend mentioned - such as moving away from the window, where it could have been assumed that direct sun might have been involved.

On the other hand, if the window gets very warm, and the heat transfers to the leaf, then that could be an effect as well. But - it's unclear as to whether other orchids are next door. So it really does help to describe conditions adequately - to efficiently get toward the source of issue.

Could later even possibly consider things like fungal activity ----- and any air-flow in the growing area - whether it gets humid in there with no air-flow etc. These aren't necessarily a cause for this case. Only considerations.


Last edited by SouthPark; 07-10-2021 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2021, 08:10 PM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf?
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 13,559
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf? Male
Default

It could also be caused by splashing cool water on a warm leaf.
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes SouthPark liked this post
  #10  
Old 07-10-2021, 08:27 PM
Shadeflower's Avatar
Shadeflower Shadeflower is online now
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 681
What is wrong with this Phalaenopsis leaf?
Default

all valid possible reasons so I will just add that it could just be past stress signs. Or past sundamage, did this orchid always have this damage or did it develop recently?
Damage like this is permanent. It will get covered by the next leaf and be less noticeable but thats one annoying thing about phals, if they get nibbled on by spider mites the damage stays for years.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes SouthPark liked this post
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
leaf, lost, phalaenopsis, species, wrong


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A question about Phalaenopsis leaf growth JerBear Beginner Discussion 3 04-22-2020 07:38 PM
New phalaenopsis leaf yellowing spt4261 Hybrids 7 10-03-2017 02:33 AM
Why you can not id a phal hybrid dennis Identification Forum 11 11-06-2015 12:00 PM
Phalaenopsis growing a spike instead of a leaf Carlos Beginner Discussion 6 03-21-2010 11:53 AM
Phalaenopsis - Brown mark in stem & Yellow mark in leaf mauren Pests & Diseases 3 07-19-2009 08:27 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.