Should I convert to S/H now or wait?
Login
User Name
Password   


Registration is FREE. Click to become a member of OrchidBoard community
(You're NOT logged in)

menu menu

Sponsor
Donate Now
and become
Forum Supporter.

Should I convert to S/H now or wait?
Many perks!
<...more...>


Sponsor
 

Google


Fauna Top Sites
LOG IN/REGISTER TO CLOSE THIS ADVERTISEMENT
  #1  
Old 09-03-2017, 02:42 PM
marcmaubert marcmaubert is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Zone: 10a
Location: Mexico City
Age: 31
Posts: 150
Should I convert to S/H now or wait? Male
Default Should I convert to S/H now or wait?

Hi! I've been converting all my orchids to Semi-Hydro and I've tried to follow instructions, so I only convert when I see new growth. Only my NOID cattleya, my NOID mini phal and my new zygopetalum and Monnierara Millenium Magic are still potted in organic media. I guessed I would have to wait until springtime to repot all 4 of them, but today I noticed new growth on my zygopetalum and my cattleya. I've never had a zygopetalum before, so I'm not sure if this is new growth or a new flower spike. But I know my cattleya, and I'm pretty sure this is a new leaf (which is weird, it just produced 2 new leaves this spring and it used to grow a leaf per year). The problem is, it didn't flower last year (I couldn't provide enough light & fertilizer) and I had to repot it in February (I waited far too long to repot it), so I'm worried about converting now. I really want it to flower this year (it's my mother's favorite orchid) and I don't want to upset its new roots. So, is it safe to repot both now or should I wait until next growth?
Attached Thumbnails
Should I convert to S/H now or wait?-cattleya1-jpg   Should I convert to S/H now or wait?-cattleya2-jpg   Should I convert to S/H now or wait?-zygo1-jpg   Should I convert to S/H now or wait?-zygo2-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-2017, 10:46 AM
marcmaubert marcmaubert is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Zone: 10a
Location: Mexico City
Age: 31
Posts: 150
Should I convert to S/H now or wait? Male
Default

or should I post this elsewhere? I'm fairly new to this forum, I'm sorry if I asked too many questions at once.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 PM
princesjess13 princesjess13 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2017
Zone: 5b
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 37
Should I convert to S/H now or wait? Female
Default

I can help with the zygo a little. Yes you have a new growth. I have one as well and mine looks the same. I don't know how long you have had yours but spikes come from the newest pseudobulbs. The older ones lose their leaves and expose the pseudobulb over time. I didn't know that. I have also been told that once this new growth starts it needs a temp drop of 10-15 degrees to put out a spike in about 3 months. I currently have mine in sh because I can't seem to keep roots from rotting in bark. Plus mine was in poor condition when I got it. I just put mine in pebble rocks yesterday. As for your cattleya I wish I could help you more, I just got mine and it's over growing its pot in bark and it's currently in bloom so I have to wait. Not sure if I helped you or not. Just what I have learned so far.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes marcmaubert liked this post
  #4  
Old 09-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Roberta's Avatar
Roberta Roberta is offline
Super Moderator
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Zone: 10a
Location: Coastal southern California, USA
Posts: 7,668
Should I convert to S/H now or wait? Female
Default

I'm no expert on semi-hydro, but I wonder how you would handle the Monnierara in semi-hydro, since it needs a dry winter rest. I guess you could put it on an S/H setup after it loses its leaves in the fall/winter and just add no water until roots are 5-6 cm (3-4 inches) . In general, the time to pot Catasetinae is late winter, just before the new growth starts. But no water until the new roots are well established!
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 2 Likes
Likes marcmaubert, WaterWitchin liked this post
  #5  
Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 PM
marcmaubert marcmaubert is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Zone: 10a
Location: Mexico City
Age: 31
Posts: 150
Should I convert to S/H now or wait? Male
Default

princesjess13, thank you so much! I've just inspected my zygo and I think you're right, it's a new growth. It still has its old flower spike (I've had it for just a month) so I just compared the new growth to it. I will convert it to semi-hydro as soon as possible. I'm still unsure about what to do with the cattleya, though

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I'm no expert on semi-hydro, but I wonder how you would handle the Monnierara in semi-hydro, since it needs a dry winter rest. I guess you could put it on an S/H setup after it loses its leaves in the fall/winter and just add no water until roots are 5-6 cm (3-4 inches) . In general, the time to pot Catasetinae is late winter, just before the new growth starts. But no water until the new roots are well established!
Thank you so much for the tip! I think I will do as you say, just put it on a S/H setup as soon as it loses its flowers, but I won't water it. I bought it just a month ago and I guess moving it from a greenhouse to my home shocked it into an early dormancy. It lost all of its leaves in a couple of weeks, but it still bloomed without a problem.
Reply With Quote
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes
Likes princesjess13 liked this post
  #6  
Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 AM
estación seca's Avatar
estación seca estación seca is offline
Senior Member
Should I convert to S/H now or wait?
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Zone: 9b
Location: Phoenix AZ - Lower Sonoran Desert
Posts: 13,567
Should I convert to S/H now or wait? Male
Default

Move to S/H when roots are in active growth.
__________________
May the bridges I've burned light my way.

Weather forecast for my neighborhood
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Ray's Avatar
Ray Ray is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: May 2005
Member of:AOS
Location: Oak Island NC
Posts: 12,956
Should I convert to S/H now or wait? Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estación seca View Post
Move to S/H when roots are in active growth.
Fine-tuning that statement a bit, the BEST time to move plants to S/H culture is when brand new roots are emerging from the base of the plant, and actively growing.
__________________
Ray Barkalow, Orchid Iconoclast
FIRSTRAYS.COM
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2017, 06:09 AM
flowerpower flowerpower is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 139
Should I convert to S/H now or wait?
Default

I would leave the cattleya a little bit longer but it should be ready soon. I wouldn't touch the Monnierara until it's done for the year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2017, 05:20 PM
marcmaubert marcmaubert is offline
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2017
Zone: 10a
Location: Mexico City
Age: 31
Posts: 150
Should I convert to S/H now or wait? Male
Default

Thank you all for your suggestions. I converted the zygo to S/H today (I noticed a lot of brand new roots were starting to grow from the base of the plant, like Ray said).

I changed the Monnierara to S/H too (with dry LECA) because its flowers started to fade yesterday, so I'm convinced it's in dormancy now. I hope I made the right decision because the sphagnum moss it was potted in looked really old and compacted and was still soggy after 3 weeks without any watering (i didn't want to risk it)

I think I'm gonna leave the Cattleya be until I notice new roots from the new growth.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-06-2018, 10:27 AM
CatherineSmith CatherineSmith is offline
Jr. Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 8
Should I convert to S/H now or wait?
Default

Hi! How is your Millenium Magic doing in S/H?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
convert, growth, s/h, wait


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cattleya mini purple no roots on new growth convert to s/h? Andrew123 Semi-Hydroponic Culture 8 08-02-2017 08:35 AM
How to Convert lux to foot-candles saniti Scientific Matters 1 08-04-2013 03:29 PM
Should I repot or wait? Becca Hybrids 20 02-13-2008 06:17 PM
I couldn't wait, either! gixrj18 Cattleya Alliance 22 01-13-2008 08:10 AM
Next step...wait for blooms cb977 Terrarium Gardening 7 11-09-2007 01:04 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.

© 2007 OrchidBoard.com
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.37 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Clubs vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.