Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Another nail in the coffin of US orchid growers (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/96605-nail-coffin-orchid-growers.html)

Ray 02-07-2018 10:54 AM

Another nail in the coffin of US orchid growers

The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) announced last week that it has finalized a rule allowing dendrobium species in growing medium to be exported from Taiwan into the U.S. This new rule will take effect March 30.

What makes dendrobiums safe to import is the “systems approach.” This approach protects against plant pests and diseases coming into the U.S. by requiring Taiwanese greenhouses to register and go through monitoring of specific sanitation and pest control practices. Participating growers must sign a written agreement to comply with U.S. regulations and allow for inspectors to inspect their facilities. In addition, each shipment that comes in must have a phytosanitary certificate.

Several other orchid species are already allowed to be exported from Taiwan into the U.S, including phalaenopsis and oncidium.

Leafmite 02-07-2018 11:39 AM

The big import will probably be Phal-type Dendrobium hybrids and I cannot think of many US vendors who are making much effort in that area. When searching for them online, a few of the Hawaiian vendors have some, including Carmela Orchids, but even Ecuagenera had more variety the last time I checked. Most of the ones found online are not all that impressive to what could be found in the past. It is as if US vendors have simply lost interest in the Phal-type Dendrobium hybrids.

Why does this concern me? Before the internet had online stores, I bought a Phal-type Dendrobium from a florist (flowers used for an arrangement) that, when it bloomed, was just beautiful. It had twenty-two, nicely shaped, lavender (non-striped) 'Phal aphrodite'-type flowers on gently arching spikes and would be in bloom nearly all year. Just try to find an orchid like this now online from a US vendor. If Phal-Dens like this are indeed plentiful, they are hidden well....

orchidsarefun 02-07-2018 11:45 AM

Interesting. I was tempted to buy at the just announced Orchids Limited Dendrobium sale but will hold off. A lot of the Dendrobium currently for sale are imports so I'm not sure of the impact. Bigger, cheaper plants and more variety would be welcome.
Growers probably have bigger competition from South American growers as they have the climate and cheaper resources to grow just about anything.

AnonYMouse 02-07-2018 03:53 PM

I'm guessing these imports are going to "finishing school" operations where they will bud and ship as "in flower" to big box stores. More disposable variety for less money.

For some people, they will be the gateway plants. Just look at the OB membership. Many start with the supermarket Phals and graduate to more exotic species. Not a bad thing.

Thinking about my own purchasing habits, I now shop most frequently from international show importers for their variety or specialty (at shows and ebay).

US growers don't market themselves well. I was at a loss when McLellan closed in SF 20+ years ago. It wasn't until the last few years has the internet helped sourcing. I don't think there is one out-of-state US vendor at POE this year. There are two from Taiwan, two from Thailand and 3 from Ecuador that are willing to make the trip. (The vendor list is greatly diminished from past shows).

The Dens from Taiwan won't affect me but it might attract a new grower, might create a new job (in the form of a packer/loader or an over-waterer at the store). Maybe poke an US vendor into rethinking their business model.

Ray 02-07-2018 03:54 PM

I forgot to mention that I cut-and-pasted from a newsletter sent to nurseries - I forget the publisher.

estación seca 02-07-2018 11:06 PM

Heating and cooling costs are a huge problem. In many tropical countries inexpensive land and labor can be found in an area that doesn't require much heating, nor cooling.

And I agree Den phals are much harder to find for sale in the US than they were in the 1970s. I would love to find one of the old kinds that have 5 foot / 1.5m tall pseudobulbs and huge sprays of dark purple flowers.