Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Use of cinnamon in orchids (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/90890-cinnamon-orchids.html)

Luis Renato 06-29-2016 09:15 PM

Use of cinnamon in orchids

I just translated one of my articles about the use of cinnamon in orchids. I hope it is useful to someone!

Use of cinnamon in orchids - The Orchid Dude

See ya!

Ray 06-30-2016 07:59 AM

Luis,

I published several "home remedies" using cinnamon about 20 years ago (you can find the info at firstrays.com), and you're welcome to include some of those in your page.

Unlike Orchid Girl, I am certain that cinnamon bark powder does contain a mild bactericide/fungicide, cinnamaldehyde.

Folks should also look into cinnamon leaf oil, as that contains eugenol, which is a far more powerful disinfectant, which, especially when diluted in water or alcohol, does not have the desiccating effect that the powder does.

fishmom 06-30-2016 12:47 PM

Interesting, Ray. I have purchased Cinnamon extract to add to my alcohol-soap-water mix, but I bet it is not the same as cinnamon leaf oil. It is in an alcohol base. I wonder now if it has any efficacy at all, or if the alcohol-soap component is the only effective part of this mix.

Leafmite 06-30-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 809253)
Luis,
Unlike Orchid Girl, I am certain that cinnamon bark powder does contain a mild bactericide/fungicide, cinnamaldehyde.

There are studies done (some with bread) that show the results of cinnamon and fungus, both with Cinnamomum verum and Cinnamomum cassia and both with the leaves and bark. I am not sure if any experiments are out there concerning bacteria but the science seems good for the fungicide part.

People sometimes claim that it was good for scale and, quite frankly, I do disagree with that, at least for the verum-type. I grow the verum type and, until I began to use coffee grounds, it was a magnet for scale. It would be completely covered with it unless I used systemic.

Ray 06-30-2016 06:02 PM

I read a study many years ago that showed that cinnamon can kill the bacterium that had been implicated in I the formation of many stomach ulcers. Eat your cinnamon toast!

Leafmite 06-30-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 809292)
I read a study many years ago that showed that cinnamon can kill the bacterium that had been implicated in I the formation of many stomach ulcers. Eat your cinnamon toast!

The verum is the better one health-wise if you are going to eat more than a teaspoon of cinnamon a day. The other has more coumarin. Cinnamon has many health benefits, though, when eaten in reasonable amounts (or if you boil cinnamon sticks as the coumarin doesn't seem to dissolve in water). :)

Luis Renato 06-30-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 809253)
Luis,

I published several "home remedies" using cinnamon about 20 years ago (you can find the info at firstrays.com), and you're welcome to include some of those in your page.

Folks should also look into cinnamon leaf oil, as that contains eugenol, which is a far more powerful disinfectant, which, especially when diluted in water or alcohol, does not have the desiccating effect that the powder does.

Thanks Ray, I'll take a lot there. We can talk about it later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmom (Post 809276)
Interesting, Ray. I have purchased Cinnamon extract to add to my alcohol-soap-water mix, but I bet it is not the same as cinnamon leaf oil. It is in an alcohol base. I wonder now if it has any efficacy at all, or if the alcohol-soap component is the only effective part of this mix.

alcohol-soap is something new to me. Here we are used to do a lot of "do it yourself", but always I try to find some scientific base to some mixture. You'll see later with other articles that I'm preparing that I use hydrogen peroxide, pyroligneous acid and even
aspirin besides cinnamon. Yes, I know, for some people its strange, but I try to be more natural in my greenhouse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafmite (Post 809279)
There are studies done (some with bread) that show the results of cinnamon and fungus, both with Cinnamomum verum and Cinnamomum cassia and both with the leaves and bark. I am not sure if any experiments are out there concerning bacteria but the science seems good for the fungicide part.

People sometimes claim that it was good for scale and, quite frankly, I do disagree with that, at least for the verum-type. I grow the verum type and, until I began to use coffee grounds, it was a magnet for scale. It would be completely covered with it unless I used systemic.

The cinnamon type matters. Unfortunately, sometime I don't know the type that I'm buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 809292)

Good to know!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafmite (Post 809298)
The verum is the better one health-wise if you are going to eat more than a teaspoon of cinnamon a day. The other has more coumarin. Cinnamon has many health benefits, though, when eaten in reasonable amounts (or if you boil cinnamon sticks as the coumarin doesn't seem to dissolve in water). :)

The sticks have the advantage of keeping the good stuff util you boil or make powder of it to use, compared to the one that you already buy in the powder shape.

Good to know that my topic generated some discussion.

fishmom 06-30-2016 08:06 PM

This is the recipe for the mix I use:

The Best Stuff Ever (Brookn's recipe)

10 drops dishsoap
1.8 ml cinnamon extract (about 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups tepid water

adjust ingredients as needed.

I have added a bit of alcohol as I am often fighting mealies, and the alcohol seems to be effective on them. I keep it in a spray bottle, and it is a good general contact cleaner for the plants.

Ray 07-01-2016 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis Renato (Post 809305)
...I try to be more natural in my greenhouse.

To some degree, you may be fooling yourself to assume that the use of "natural" treatments are better or safer than commercial ones.

Many modern treatments are designed to be very specific in what they affect, and degrade very rapidly into inert or innocuous compounds, while we really know little about the persistence of "natural" ones, or whether they may affect "good bugs".

Luis Renato 07-01-2016 09:32 AM

I agree with the fact that natural could be less efficient than the Comercial ones. This is why I try to do it, but when the best option is something comercial, I use it.

An example? I use Comercial fungicide and fertilizer. But I try to avoid bugs and some diseases with plants around the greenhouse. It works. I just try to equilibrate them

Enviado de meu LG-H818 usando Tapatalk