Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   how long from buds to bloom (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/8125-buds-bloom.html)

LinhT 01-09-2008 12:23 PM

how long from buds to bloom

1 Attachment(s)
My neglected phal I put in rehab is producing buds now. Spike initiation started in early November and now I have about 4 buds. It seems to be doing ok. I hope it's doing ok. This morning I wiped off some droplets of sap on the top part of the spike near the buds. I hope it's happy sappy, not aphid sappy (it's always been indoors). I was wondering about how long it takes on average from the time buds appear to the first actual bloom? :scratchhead:

Thanks for any input!

Ross 01-09-2008 02:04 PM

Looks totally happy to me and there could be more buds to come yet - doesn't look like terminal bud is quite done. Don't fret the "drops" you mentioned. It's fairly common when plant has enough to drink.

As to bud development, it depends on the plant, but it has a ways to go yet. Mine is in about stage.

Oldguypops 01-09-2008 02:34 PM

I agree with Ross. It depends on the plant, how much humidity, light, water, etc.
It looks nice and healthy.
Chris

LinhT 01-09-2008 11:43 PM

Thanks Ross & Chris! I had read somewhere that it takes 110 days from spiking to blooms so I was just wondering how true that is.

CodiMN 01-10-2008 12:23 AM

Good job LinhT! Your first bud there looks like it's swelling nicely! Ooo! You may have it open in a week or two. Awesome! :banana:
I'm thinking about joining the MN Orchid Society...have you ever gone? :scratchhead:

LinhT 01-10-2008 02:42 AM

Hi Carolyn!

If it's really a week or two....I'm reeally excited!!!

I've never checked out the MN Orchid Society before but I just looked at the website. I think I missed all the interesting events! I didn't know they had member sales at Linders Greenhouse. I live 15 minutes away from there.
Do you know if membership is required to attend one of those meetings to listen to guest speakers?

CodiMN 01-10-2008 10:33 PM

Hi LinhT!
I met some members at the St. Paul Winter Carnival's Orchid Show at the Como Conservatory last January. (Not sure when this year's orchid show is :scratchhead: I would like to go!). But they told me visitors are welcome to the meetings. I'm thinking of checking it out sometime when my schedule permits.
It's a little far away for me cuz I'm in the northwest suburb of New Hope, but I'd make an effort if it was worth it. :nod:

Orchdork 01-13-2008 12:34 PM

MN Orchid Society Show Jan. 26-27

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodiMN (Post 74430)
Hi LinhT!
I met some members at the St. Paul Winter Carnival's Orchid Show at the Como Conservatory last January. (Not sure when this year's orchid show is :scratchhead: I would like to go!). :nod:

The MN Orchid Society website isn't current. I learned on the Como Zoo site that the show is on Jan. 26-27, starting at 10 am, and that there will be orchids for sale!:bananaslide:

I'm in Golden Valley. I thought I'd go right when they open so I could have the most options in shopping. :)

I'm not a member, either.

CodiMN 01-13-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchdork (Post 74842)
The MN Orchid Society website isn't current. I learned on the Como Zoo site that the show is on Jan. 26-27, starting at 10 am, and that there will be orchids for sale!:bananaslide:

I'm in Golden Valley. I thought I'd go right when they open so I could have the most options in shopping. :)

I'm not a member, either.

I went last year, and that's where I was "rebitten" by the bug! :blushing: I didn't buy anything last year, but was kicking myself all year! :_(
If you plan on bring any 'chids home, bring some extra plastic bags to protect them from the wind. The vendors were great and had nice 'chids and tried to package them accordingly, but I would just want to double or triple bag any purchases for extra insulation. :nod:
I think I'll bring my camera this year :photo:! FYI, there are LONG lines to get into some of the room, so it's good to go early (like you said Orchdork).:waving
Maybe we'll run into each other!

Orchdork 01-13-2008 03:40 PM

MN Orchid Society Show Jan. 26-27

Quote:

Originally Posted by CodiMN (Post 74856)
I The vendors were great and had nice 'chids and tried to package them accordingly, but I would just want to double or triple bag any purchases for extra insulation. :nod:
I think I'll bring my camera this year :photo:! FYI, there are LONG lines to get into some of the room, so it's good to go early (like you said Orchdork).:waving
Maybe we'll run into each other!

Thanks for all the tips, Carolyn! I'll make sure that I follow all those. Smart, smart, smart!

The camera is an even better idea. Sort of "catch and release" for us.....:photo: :photo: :photo:

The bad news is that I'm getting the bug for African Violets, too.... They're cheaper but it adds up-- like Christmas cookies or potato chips....:love: :love:

Becky