Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Intergeneric oncidium might be a gonner!! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/79080-intergeneric-oncidium-gonner.html)

Matorchid 07-17-2014 04:34 PM

Intergeneric oncidium might be a gonner!!

Hello all,
Can you plz give some feedback before I proceed any further.
Just woke to find that one of my Onc/Ond mixes had pseudo bulb laying totally flat, and now that I have out of the pot, I think the other may do the same tonite or tomorrow. I have some pics. I was going to repot it but it
might be a moot point. Your input would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance

Tony

Matorchid 07-17-2014 04:35 PM

And another try to fix my camera to post pics

Matorchid 07-17-2014 04:36 PM

Last one

JMNYC 07-17-2014 04:50 PM

Yes, alas, not a happy camper. Can't determine if it's been overwaterered or not, but that might be my first guess.

Pls squeeze the collapsed bulb between thumb and forefinger and tell us if it's soft. Pls do the same with the other bulb. Then, pls remove the medium from the roots to determine to what degree they are healthy versus rotted.

Not to worry, we all deal with stuff like this!

Matorchid 07-17-2014 05:04 PM

Well actually that is the strange thing the bulb itself is fairly rigid on both and down right where it changes color that's when it's soft. When I dropped the thing in physan. It turned a little bit greener as if it was sucking up more water. And this is something that's happened over the past week. When I watered last week other than the slight misting this week it was totally completely dry. So last Friday that's when I did the full soak. that plant and about four others is all that needed that. And typically don't water that way, soaking method. Those Ridges in the leaves were very pronounced when I got the orchid. It has been that way ever since I got it back at the beginning of March!
So this guy has one one little back bulb and the second pseudobulb hasn't fallen yet, should I try to save him and cut the one out.
Right now I have cleaned the roots and have him soaking in a physan bath

JMNYC 07-17-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matorchid (Post 694304)
Well actually that is the strange thing the bulb itself is fairly rigid on both and down right where it changes color that's when it's soft. When I dropped the thing in physan. It turned a little bit greener as if it was sucking up more water. And this is something that's happened over the past week. When I watered last week other than the slight misting this week it was totally completely dry. So last Friday that's when I did the full soak. that plant and about four others is all that needed that. And typically don't water that way, soaking method. Those Ridges in the leaves were very pronounced when I got the orchid. It has been that way ever since I got it back at the beginning of March!
So this guy has one one little back bulb and the second pseudobulb hasn't fallen yet, should I try to save him and cut the one out.
Right now I have cleaned the roots and have him soaking in a physan bath

Interesting! If the second bulb is firm, and has some healthy roots, I might suggest you cut anything marginal or clearly rotten away and just pot the healthy bulb up making sure you remove any rotted roots from it.

Perhaps this puppy did not get consistent watering at the right intervals, thus stressing the plant.....maybe feast or famine? Dunno. But bet you can save it!

Matorchid 07-17-2014 05:26 PM

Okay this is going be a little tricky I cleaned the root ball and I'm squeezing the large bulb

Matorchid 07-17-2014 05:29 PM

Okay squeegeeing the second suitable and Root baul is clean just a little bit of rubbery roots but otherwise they look healthy

Matorchid 07-17-2014 05:32 PM

And close up of the routes the outer covering seems to have stayed on the most not that mushy feeling that I would get normally from the Phals

JMNYC 07-17-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matorchid (Post 694312)
And close up of the routes the outer covering seems to have stayed on the most not that mushy feeling that I would get normally from the Phals

Excellent image, excellent roots!

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matorchid (Post 694310)
Okay squeegeeing the second suitable and Root baul is clean just a little bit of rubbery roots but otherwise they look healthy

From the image, it does appear the base on the bulb on the right is rotting. I, for one, would remove that bulb along with its roots by teasing them out from the other roots.