Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Dendrobium Aussie Hybrids (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/7905-dendrobium-aussie-hybrids.html)

shakkai 12-31-2007 06:53 AM

Dendrobium Aussie Hybrids

Look what I found!! A nursery here has some unflowered seedling Australian Hybrid Dendrobiums!!

Burnham Nurseries - Online Orchid Shop

Enter the shop, choose 'Product Overview' on the left hand side, then scroll down to 'Orchid Hybrids' and you'll see 'Dendrobiums - Australian Hybrids'

I ordered three crosses:

Dendrobium (Zip x King Wong) x (Gillian Leaney x Tweed)

Dendrobium (Ellewong x Zip) x (Gillian Leaney x Tweed)

Dendrobium Miara x kingianum 'Speckles'

cupcake 12-31-2007 02:34 PM

How could you do this to me? Oh well I haven't been on ebay for 3 months! What the h*ll! Judi

shakkai 12-31-2007 04:18 PM

Go for it, Judi! I'm going to ask them if they can get any of those super "Hot Cold Den Hybrids" (Australian Orchid Nursery - Dendrobiums) as well... I'd go broke buying them! :lol:

Happy New Year! What a better way to ring in the year than with an orchid order????!?

Undergrounder 01-01-2008 03:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's really cool shakkai... the kingianum 'Speckles' is my favourite hybrid in my collection. It has really delicate looking flowers, strong racemes and it keikis like a hawaiian midwife. Check out these new growths and keikis:

shakkai 01-01-2008 05:07 AM

Happy New Year, Undergrounder!! Thanks for the info! The kingianum 'Speckles' was the only one I couldn't find photos for when I was searching to see what these crosses might throw. With all of the others, I found photos of various named clones of those grexes.

Your plant looks wonderful - so lush and healthy!! What height is your plant? Is that it's full size?

I can't wait 'til mine get here!!

shakkai 01-01-2008 05:18 AM

Fingers crossed, this nursery will keep getting new varieties in...

I've looked at the species make-up of the crosses I selected, and it is really interesting to see the wide variety that goes into these - and how complex they are!

For example, for Den. (Ellewong x Zip) x (Gillian Leaney x Tweed)

Ellewong x Zip: is:
{[(kingianum x fleckeri) x speciosum] x (Den. kingianum x tetragonum)} X {Den. kingianum x [(Den. speciosum x Den. kingianum) x tetragonum]}

crossed with: Gillian Leaney x Tweed:
{[(Den. speciosum x Den. kingianum) x kingianum] x [( Den. falcorostrum x Den. fleckeri) x (fleckeri x speciosum)]}

So, predominantly kingianum, but with fleckeri, speciosum, tetragonum and even some falcorostrum in there!

Undergrounder 01-01-2008 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shakkai (Post 72483)
Fingers crossed, this nursery will keep getting new varieties in...

I've looked at the species make-up of the crosses I selected, and it is really interesting to see the wide variety that goes into these - and how complex they are!

For example, for Den. (Ellewong x Zip) x (Gillian Leaney x Tweed)

Ellewong x Zip: is:
{[(kingianum x fleckeri) x speciosum] x (Den. kingianum x tetragonum)} X {Den. kingianum x [(Den. speciosum x Den. kingianum) x tetragonum]}

crossed with: Gillian Leaney x Tweed:
{[(Den. speciosum x Den. kingianum) x kingianum] x [( Den. falcorostrum x Den. fleckeri) x (fleckeri x speciosum)]}

So, predominantly kingianum, but with fleckeri, speciosum, tetragonum and even some falcorostrum in there!

That's actually amazing info.. what website did you use to look it up? It's when they start sticking in some Den phalaenopsis that things really start to get wild - but a little harder to look after.

It is fullsize, this was it in flower last year. The grower was Bill, bought at a show. As you can see he's a good grower.

shakkai 01-01-2008 06:57 AM

Be still my heart!!! :drool: Now I'm not only impatient for my plants to arrive - I want to see them bloom!!! What a great plant! And by all accounts I've read, these are exceedingly easy to look after.

I got most of the information from this page:
Australian Dendrobiums

It has lots of great information about the colour ranges of some of the different parents. For example:

Quote:

Den. Gillian Leaney ( Den. Xdelicatum x kingianum) - colours white, white with purple labellum through pinks to purples.

Den. Zip ( Den. kingianum x Den. Ku-Ring-Gai) - colours white to cream with dark purple edging and splashing, some with the purple labellum.

Andrew 01-01-2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakkai (Post 72404)
Go for it, Judi! I'm going to ask them if they can get any of those super "Hot Cold Den Hybrids" (Australian Orchid Nursery - Dendrobiums) as well... I'd go broke buying them! :lol:

DUNO do a lot of hot/cold (aka Tropicool) Den breeding. They attend shows in the US. Do they ever make it over to the UK?

shakkai 01-02-2008 03:36 AM

Thanks for the info, Andrew. I haven't gone to any of the really big shows here - though I might change that this year! But I haven't seen the 'Tropicool' or 'Equacool' types available. I will definitely keep my eyes open, and in the mean time, I will send some emails to see what I can find. One way or another, I'll find a way to grow some of these!