Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Lazy paphs! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/75622-lazy-paphs.html)

The Orchid Kid 02-28-2014 04:42 PM

Lazy paphs!

5 Attachment(s)
I have 3 Paphs, but none of them have grown much in the last year nor flowered. Are they normally winter flowering. All seem healthy though, with good foliage colour and sturdy leaf structure.

Paphiopedilum sukahkulii x charlesworthii has one growth, but the tiny new one has sat there for the past year, while the main growth grew a little.

Paphiopedilum gratrixianum x (P. Califorian Queen x P. Incredible) had a new growth which has grown long and leggy (12" leaves).

My other one (unknown variety) did have some new growths start, but no flowers either.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Daethen 02-28-2014 05:41 PM

They are probably lacking for something. Although, I have had paphs that will sulk forever after being repotted or into a new environment.

jeremyinsf 02-28-2014 06:48 PM

What's your lighting situation?

Do you feed them and what and how often?

stonedragonfarms 02-28-2014 11:51 PM

Can you post pictures please?
In addition to what the others have asked, when were they last repotted? Are you growing under lights or under glass or on a windowsill? Were any of them in bloom when you received them?

The Orchid Kid 03-01-2014 05:36 AM

I have added pictures to the original post.

Non were in bloom when bought.

The big Paph was repotted last March. The others are in the same CHC I got them in a year ago.

They were on a shelf 1.5m from a West facing window until a month ago when I moved the big paph to a small west facing window ledge (see pic). The two others now live on a north facing window ledge that sits between houses so is light but never get direct sun. I was thinking they might have lacked light in the previous location.

I feed using Sundries/Growing Media is an orchid compost perfect for the house or greenhouse - - One pack of Orchid Feed, every fortnight in the summer, every 4-6 weeks in the winter.

Fairorchids 03-01-2014 06:27 AM

Younger plants tend to grow slowly, even in GH conditions. When a new growth matures, it needs cooling off (2-3 weeks with cool nights, at least 5-7C cooler than daytime temps) to initiate buds. Then they bloom some 5 months later.

Most Paphs bloom Nov to March, though Maudiae types will bloom randomly throughout the year and many Brachys are summer bloomers.

dounoharm 03-01-2014 07:43 AM

looks like they needed more light, maybe where you moved them they will get it...

Ray 03-01-2014 08:47 AM

They actually don't look too bad, but I agree with the "more light" comments.

It looks to me like they could probably use more water, too.

Can't make any comment on the fertilizer, as the link you provided tells us absolutely nothing about the chemistry of it.

MattWoelfsen 03-01-2014 09:02 AM

I would have to admit that it is not my Phaps that are lazy--that mantle is on me. I have similar results as you, but I have a tendency not to water these plants enough, these seem to be plants that like a lot of water regularly.

stonedragonfarms 03-01-2014 12:56 PM

The only thing that I would add is to repot them more often; yearly is good, they will usually respond with a growth spurt following careful repotting. CHC is on the coarse end of the media scale; you may have better luck with a finer less moisture retentive media; it is also known to accumulate mineral salts which can damage paph roots. Ask around to see what others in your area are using; I grow mostly in 1:1:1 tree fern fibre, perlite & calcined clay; I'm sure the others will chime in with suggestions as well. With orchids, experimentation and trying new things is par for the course--if it's not, try growing ivy instead.
AP