Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing on Mounts (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/)
-   -   First time mounts (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/72769-time-mounts.html)

Lilac 11-07-2013 08:16 PM

First time mounts

2 Attachment(s)
I bought these two pieces of I think it's called fernwood, and mounted these Cattleyas. Not sure if one is a Dendrobium because It was a noid.

I used a piece of an clean old net scarf to sort of encapsulate the roots a little and secure them to the mount.

Then I also tied some nylon loosely around some of the canes to prevent it from leaning forward too much. I also put some sphagnum moss between the mount and the orchid.

I'm very apprehensive about the whole thing,. Hope it's okay. :scratchhead:

I tried to use different string and fishing line, but felt it was cutting into the plant.

Does this look okay? What do you think? Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks in advance :)

nikkik 11-07-2013 08:31 PM

I think you did a great job!

TOMMYMIAMI 11-07-2013 09:24 PM

Looks pretty good!

Cactuseed 11-07-2013 09:44 PM

is this a joke?
that has to be tree fern fiber and is great stuff !!

Lilac 11-08-2013 01:56 PM

Thanks guys !

Oh my gosh! Today when I watered them there were two new little roots growing on the Catt already!!! From one day to the next!!!

I'm planning on mounting all of them now :)))

Ray 11-09-2013 09:28 AM

Just be aware that you're going to need to water mounted plants very frequently.

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

Lilac 11-09-2013 11:44 AM

Hi Ray! Thanks! I do enjoy going out to the porch and hosing them down though! :D

It enables me a little sun and movement which is good for my arthritis and disc/vertebrae condition, so I get to move around some. I know there will be days when I won't be able to, but hopefully not too many!

What I am noticing is that the mounted Phals (on wood slat baskets) are not doing much root wise, I have moved them to a slightly brighter area to see..

Oh guys, the sick Catt did finally succumb yesterday. I bagged it and threw it away and sterilized the area where I had isolated it. :( But I did try until the bitter end.

Root rot is a terrible thing!

WhiteRabbit 11-09-2013 08:26 PM

Those look great!

nlm2951 11-10-2013 10:50 AM

That's the way I do it, but I use plastic tied, they have the long ones or you can hook one with the other, I buy them at the $ store, or can use fishing line, also I drill some holes and pass them through the holes, use pieces of wood like cedar, do the same.

Lilac 11-10-2013 01:14 PM

Thanks Nim, WhiteRabbit!

I'm thinking about using the cedar wood :)