Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   What to Expect First Orchid Society Meeting (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/60952-expect-orchid-society-meeting.html)

Mapp 07-08-2012 09:57 PM

What to Expect First Orchid Society Meeting

Hello all,
I've recently discovered that the Massachusetts Orchid Society meets about a 45 minute drive from where I live, and I'm planning on attending this month's meeting. I'm just curious what to expect. I've never been to anything like this, so I'm not sure how it will work. Will members be selling plants? There's a guest speaker who will be speaking about fragrant/novelty phals, so that should be interesting. I'm just curious about what goes on during one of these meetings.
Thanks,
Matt

ronaldhanko 07-08-2012 10:30 PM

Not all orchid societies do things the same but usually there's a plant table to which members can bring their plants and some sort of judging or voting on the best plants. There's usually also a speaker and quite often a raffle, door prizes, usually plenty of eats, and lots of people who like to talk orchids. I am sure you'll enjoy your visit and hope you join up.

james mickelso 07-09-2012 12:09 AM

Depending on how gregarious or friendly you are, you'll probably have lots of fun and come home with more orchids. You'll gain a few pounds from all the food there as well as a few more friends. You'll enjoy the speaker and enjoy yourself. You'll want to go back again. Just go and enjoy the company of folks who love the same things you do. You'll get out of it what you put into it. Sign up as a guest, you'll be introduced to everyone there. Go smell the plants brought in to gloat...er....show off. The meeting will start with the pledge of allegience and a short club business proceedure. The speaker will speak. The plants will be discussed. You'll eat and talk and eat and talk. Then there will be a raffle and you'll win a plant or two. You'll have a good time and you'll go home. But I'll bet you'll come back next month. Promise.

rangiku 07-09-2012 02:52 AM

Hi Matt, if you come on this Tuesday, you will hear a great speaker: Peter Lin of Big Leaf Orchids. :)

There are general announcements about what's going on in the society, such as asking for volunteers for our annual show in November, upcoming show, trips, etc. Then we have a show table where members bring their plants for the members to see. After the "judging" we have a raffle that everyone gets a free ticket for. If you are new member, you get the first pic of the plants.

And, then, the speaker.

People do bring plants for sale, too. If you hear someone yelling Matt, you'll know it's me. If you yell out Rangiku, I'll answer.

Sadly, we don't do the pledge of allegiance.

Leafmite 07-09-2012 10:13 AM

When I went to my first meeting, I had no idea what to expect and was quite nervous. That was silly! I was greeted warmly and made to feel very welcome. OS members all have a common interest...orchids. Plenty to discuss! Speakers usually bring sale plants so bring money! Expect to increase your collection and learn more while making friends. Helping out at the shows is fun so volunteer if you can. Have fun!