Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   Orchidaceae ID (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/60921-orchidaceae-id.html)

LiquidSky 07-07-2012 09:37 PM

Orchidaceae ID

4 Attachment(s)
Can someone please help me with Orchid ID

I'll provide with the scarce info I think or got (which may be wrong)

Cambria xxx
Dendrobium cleopatra??
Dendrobium nobile==

Thank you very much for your time!

Wynn Dee13 07-07-2012 09:59 PM

The first one is in the Oncidium alliance I think. The white one is a Dendrobium nobile hybrid. The last one is a Dendrobium also but it is not a nobile type. If they don't have tags with a hybrid name on it the best you will get is what genus they belong to. So they would be NoIDs. There are too many hybrids that look alike to be able to tell you for sure what hybrids they are.

LiquidSky 07-07-2012 10:05 PM

Thanks!
They were just labelled as "Cabria", "Dendrobium" & "Dendrobium" spp when I bought them a few weeks ago.
I am quite new to this hobby, though I do far better in cultivating corals and bonsai and hopefully understand some basic BIO (and that ID from pics are not always sufficient)

ronaldhanko 07-07-2012 10:07 PM

The first is indeed Oncidium alliance, possibly a Colmanara of some kind. They are often sold generically under the name "Cambria Orchid." Beyond that a positive ID is impossible but will help with the culture. The other Dendrobium looks like it is a Phalaenopsis type.

LiquidSky 07-07-2012 10:15 PM

Thank you!
So strange that shops cant ID properly. In the coral industry (with millions of species) which are sold in low turnover,, are better labelled.
The shop also had a few Oncidium species, but obviously didnt recognize this as one of those.
But I for sure rather listen to you.

The Oncidium species prefers a bit higher temperatures than cambria species (in general) right?

And if I also understand you right, the two other dendros are hydbrids and not real species.. A bit turndown since I always prefer real material, but they do look nice at least :p

ronaldhanko 07-07-2012 11:44 PM

None of them are species. I think you are right about the "Oncidium" but it is not a species either. It is very complex hybrid that probably includes Oncidium and Miltoniopsis, possibly Odontoglossum and Brassia.

ronaldhanko 07-07-2012 11:46 PM

Should have added that species are rarely found in shops such as the place where you bought these, n ot only because they are a bit more difficult to grow in many cases, but also because many of them have more definite blooming seasons and are not produced for mass marketing.

msaar 07-08-2012 12:09 AM

The British (and I suppose, much of Europe) have somewhat confused things by calling almost every oncidinae intergeneric hybrid a "cambria" in conversation. This is derived from an early and famous intergeneric hybrid Vulstekeara Cambria. (at least thats the way it looks from this side of the pond)

Wynn Dee13 07-08-2012 12:29 AM

I was wondering about that because I have never heard or seen an Oncidium be referred to as a Cambria orchid.

Arenalbotanicalgarden 07-08-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSky (Post 509073)
In the coral industry (with millions of species) which are sold in low turnover,, are better labelled.

AOL keyword/"species". Stick with species orchids if you can.;)
Many species are vanishing in the wild and the trade/hobby continues to promote hybrids and crosses (mutts). It makes no sense to me.