Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Members' Displays (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/members-displays/)
-   -   My jungle (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/members-displays/57635-jungle.html)

MAli 03-09-2012 03:25 AM

My jungle

3 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

I recently participated at an orchid show with one of my displays. The show was amazing and a few people suggested I join this forum. Functionality is very important for me followed closely by looks so there is a lot going on in this tank. I lost count of how many different plants and orchids are in here. Last time I counted it was more than 100 :shock:

I think I might be able to fit a couple more in here :rofl:

Cheers

camille1585 03-09-2012 03:56 AM

That's an awesome terrarium!! I love how natural it looks, it does look like a piece of jungle! With so many plants in there, you must always have something blooming :)

billc 03-09-2012 05:10 AM

That's a great looking little slice of the jungle.

Bill

FairyInTheFlowers 03-09-2012 07:58 AM

:welcomeflowers: Its always great to see new Canadian members here! With our enabling skills here, that jungle of yours will he packed as tight as possible with 'chids!

RosieC 03-09-2012 08:37 AM

Awesome, great looking terrarium!

Paul Mc 03-09-2012 08:54 AM

That is awesome! Can you show/tell us about your complete set up? Lighting, watering, etc...

MAli 03-09-2012 12:00 PM

Thank you everyone for the compliments.

When I built this tank I wanted to make sure that I can change or modify anything in there without having to destroy the tank. I can completely dismantle this tank leave it empty and put it all back in about an hour :D. Yes it's getting to the point where I do usually have something flowering :) Except for the orchid show :((

I want it to be very lush and kind of overgrown with as big a variety as I can get. To do that I needed to create a few microclimates within the enclosure. Basically the tank goes from being dripping wet on one side to bone dry on the opposite. I have a drip irrigation system connected to my filtration. The automatic misting system is used rarely when I'm trying to mimic a season or something. The lighting is 4 bulb T5HO fixture. There is a ton of microfauna that I intentionally seeded in the tank.
The water level stays at about four inches and I keep freshwater invertebrates in there too. All this added up and I don't really need to fertilize. I constructed my Background using lots of corkbark and as little expanding foam as I can. For me Corkbark trumps any other material for working in vivariums and I've been doing this for a loooong time. I think if you ask the plants they will agree :lol: Wood accent pieces are Mopani which is my favorite. I love the dual coloration on it and I find it has lots of character.

Lights are on for 10 to 12 hrs in the winter and 14 to 16 in the summer. I was going to keep Dart frogs but I don't think they will appreciate the nightly temperature drops I've been working so hard to get. Without the drops somethings just won't flower for me so sorry froggies but the plants were here first :) I have a dangerous attraction to miniature orchids that is threatening to leave me homeless. But happy :rofl:

Hope that helps and any other questions are welcome.

Keith Briscoe 03-09-2012 12:14 PM

Very cool -- nicely done!

Lady_Vamp 03-09-2012 03:34 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board, fellow canadian!

I love your terrarium!

orchid-eric 03-09-2012 04:45 PM

You did a great job setting that up! Very good looking display!