Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Members' Displays (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/members-displays/)
-   -   Seeking Advice on Orchid Setups (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/members-displays/47187-seeking-advice-orchid-setups.html)

GardenTheater 05-27-2011 07:01 PM

Seeking Advice on Orchid Setups

I've posted 3 photo links for my small orchid setups. After link to Window #2, I’ve got questions and hope you can help:bowing.

1. Window #1 is a SW kitchen window filtered by a tree. You can see lights vertically mounted to the left and right of the windowsill. My 3 phals are re-spiking in this setup and I think they're happy so far.

IMG_8959 Rev | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Window #2 is a 2nd flour SW window filtered by a tree. I have moved most of my catt types up here and told them to pretend they're growing attached to the top of their favorite tree;). They’ve been in this window 2 months or less. I've got a light meter iPhone app and the light seems about right.

IMG_9885 REV | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I leave the window open a crack for circulation, but am thinking about adding both a fan and humidifier. So far humidity is mostly staying above 40% and has been as high as 74%.

For Window #2, do you think I need a humidifier or is 40% to 74% RH enough? The temperatures will get down to about 55 in the winter as a computer chip controls our heat/AC and keeps it off most of the time. Temperatures at the window are usually between 60 and 80 and sometimes spike to 90 for a couple of hours in the summer. The humidity usually goes down as the temperature goes up:(.

For Window #2, do you think a little six inch fan mounted to the right of the pots would help with air circulation for the few days it’s too hot/cold to have window open a crack? Should I run the fan even when window is open a crack? Would directing the air at the level of the pots and gravel (not the leaves) be the right thing to do?

3. The third photo is of C. Hausermann 'Lucy". She’s a new acquisition from Hausermann. She gets a little eastern sun and a lot of southwest filtered sun when the shade is open. She has about the same humidity and temperatures as her friends in Window # 2. I'm so happy all her buds didn't blast when I got her. She has five in progress—3 big and 2 little. Whatever you recommend for window 2, I’ll try to set-up for her. She’s a lot bigger than I expected:rofl:.

IMG_9882 REV | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for reading and giving advice!

cday2inflorida 05-28-2011 08:40 AM

Extra humidity seldom hurts in a home environment. But honestly, you have done a bang up job. Every thing looks great. In fact, even the leaves are the right color! That is hard to do inside.
I just noticed the Laelia Santa Barbara Sunset GREAT job!
You deserve a big KUDOS on the entire grow!

GardenTheater 05-28-2011 09:49 AM

Thumper, Thanks for looking at photos and reading long post. The orchids thank you too. I also have the Laelia 'Little Sunset'. Love the sunset colors.

cday2inflorida 05-28-2011 12:40 PM

I bought a "Showtime" when they were off the charts expensive! Probably one of the top 10 hybrids in my collection. Laelia 'Little Sunset' is a beautiful plant!

GardenTheater 05-28-2011 12:52 PM

Hope your 'Showtime' has given you your money's worth in blooms. Have you posted a photo of it yet?

GardenTheater 05-28-2011 01:20 PM

Hi again Thumper,
I realized I can do a search for Showtime photos on this site. Thanks again for your help.

dounoharm 05-29-2011 08:55 PM

great setup! they all look happy as larks and i know you will love 'lucy' she is a great plant!

silken 05-29-2011 09:43 PM

I agree with the others, it looks great! Your kitchen window would be a treat to look at. And the new orchid from Hausermann sure has roots! I think a small fan certainly wouldn't hurt. Most orchids seem to require moving air 24/7. I've read some orchids like the air coming from below, but mine get it from where I can provide it which is a variety of high and low locations. I haven't heard any complaints yet :) It helps cool their leaves and roots, so I would just put it where you can best manage to put it. It shouldn't be real hard wind blowing on them or anything.
Happy Growing!

GardenTheater 05-30-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dounoharm (Post 407224)
great setup! they all look happy as larks and i know you will love 'lucy' she is a great plant!

Thanks Dounoharm. Lucy is now blooming and I need to post photos. You are right. I do love Lucy.:biggrin:

GardenTheater 05-30-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silken (Post 407237)
I agree with the others, it looks great! Your kitchen window would be a treat to look at. And the new orchid from Hausermann sure has roots! I think a small fan certainly wouldn't hurt. Most orchids seem to require moving air 24/7. I've read some orchids like the air coming from below, but mine get it from where I can provide it which is a variety of high and low locations. I haven't heard any complaints yet :) It helps cool their leaves and roots, so I would just put it where you can best manage to put it. It shouldn't be real hard wind blowing on them or anything.
Happy Growing!

Hi Silken, Thanks for looking at my setups. I'll see what I can do to give them a gentle breeze. The Hausermann orchid is ready for a repot after she blooms. Her newest p-bulbs are just barely in the pot. Hope her in the pot roots look as good as the ones we can see, now that I've been doing the watering.