Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Member Projects (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/)
-   -   Summer Project, 2011 (Intermediate) - Project Plant Suggestions (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/member-projects/46600-summer-project-2011-intermediate-project-plant-suggestions.html)

FairyInTheFlowers 05-14-2011 01:59 AM

Summer Project, 2011 (Intermediate) - Project Plant Suggestions

This is the plant suggestion post for the Summer Project, 2011. The criterion are as follows:

1. Plant must be a species, but not one that is known to be difficult.

2. Around $40 CAN (due to the normally higher prices of orchids in Canada)

3. A blooming sized plant should be about 12" or smaller, without the blooms.

4. A cool-intermediate to warm-intermediate grower. Or no cooler growing than 17C/62F nights, and not growing warmer that 25C/77F days.

5. Plant MUST be available in Canada.

6. Blooming or near blooming sized in countries participating.

To help you along, here are some Canadian vendors (once again, I am sorry for making this look sort of noninclusive to some people, but I am trying to make it as best as possible!)

Paramount Orchids - Plant Listing Welcome to Online Store Shangri La Orchids Cloud's Orchids

Here is a website that is very handy for finding cultural requirements for species, and their list is extensive! Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia

Once again I am thankful for you support and helping me through my first time leading a MP!

Here is a list of the plants that have already been done in a MP.
Project 1 - Phal. lobbii
Project 2 - Angraecum scottianum
Project 3 - Paph. venustum
Project 4 - Aerangis luteoalba var rhodostica
Project 5 - Laelia reginae
Project 6a - Sediera japonica
Project 6b - Neo. falcata
Project 7 - Mystery Cirr. tingabarium, Asc. pumilum, Res. dodsonii
Spring 2009 - Haraella retrocalla
Summer 2009 - Miltonia spectabilis, Coelogyne cristata, Leptotes unicolor
Spring 2010 - Rhynchostylis coelestis, Dendrobium loddigesii, Laelia anceps
Summer 2010 - Maxillaria tenuifolia
Spring 2011 Gastrochilus japonicus

keithrs 05-14-2011 10:42 AM

So only list orchid prices in Can.? Or should we list prices for US and EU Countries too?

Call_Me_Bob 05-14-2011 10:48 AM

im not sure what cody was thinking but i think that it should be available elsewhere too. there are plenty of species that will be available in canada, the US, and eu. i think a point just needs to be made to make sure its available to all who are participating. i know for the spring project we didnt have much canadian interest so we didnt make it a requirement.

$40? that seems like a lot. that doesnt include shipping right? i know canada has higher prices, but i didnt know they were that much higher.

FairyInTheFlowers 05-14-2011 11:18 AM

Sorry for being unclear, I was up late doing this. Because I want this Project to be slightly geared towards Canadians, I put the price limit higher due to the usually higher prices in Canada. If you find a plant available in Can, the US, and the EU, yes, it would be best if you put the prices down in all currencies. And I am sure the average price of orchdis is much lower in other countries! Also, could someone provide me with several websites to vendors in the US and EU? That would help everyone along AWESOMELY!

Call_Me_Bob 05-14-2011 11:31 AM

oakhill, andy's orchids, orchids by hausermann, j&l orchids,and parkside orchids are all good, usually with good prices.

ill get links a bit later

Zoi2 05-15-2011 12:26 AM

I found a few plants that should meet your criteria and they should all be pretty much intermediate growers, small species and relatively easy to grow and bloom. I have only checked Canada and the US.

Aspasia psittcina: Paramount $28.00, Oak Hill $15.00
IOSPE PHOTOS

Brassavola glauca: Paramount $28.00, Oak Hill $15.00, Andy’s $20.00
IOSPE PHOTOS

Bulbophyllum ambrosia: Paramount $28.00, Clouds $25.00, J & L $25.00
IOSPE PHOTOS

Kefersteinia tolimensis: Paramount $28.00, Andy’s $35.00
IOSPE PHOTOS

Laelia crispilabia (rupicolus): Clouds $35.00, Andy’s 24.00
IOSPE PHOTOS

Maxillaria cucullata: Paramount $28.00, Andy’s $18 / 24.00
IOSPE PHOTOS

Oncidium (Tolumnia) pulchellum: Clouds $20.00, Andy’s $16.00
IOSPE PHOTOS

Joann

Call_Me_Bob 05-15-2011 09:14 AM

I should go pull up my favorite that didn't by pikes for the spring project. And see if it's available in canada

You can call me Bob ;)

"have no fear, help is here!"

keithrs 05-15-2011 11:29 AM

Aerangis citrata...... Paramount-$26 Orchidweb-$15 Oakhill-18
IOSPE PHOTOS

Angraecum didieri..... Paramount-$28 Orchidweb-$30 Oakhill-$15 Andy's-$24 Grobraschener-18 EUR
IOSPE PHOTOS

Dendrobium victoria-regina..... Paramount-$28 Orchidweb-$35 Grobraschener-29 EUR
IOSPE PHOTOS

Laelia lundii..... Paramount-$26 Andys-$24 SBOE-$17.50>
IOSPE PHOTOS

Paphiopedilum delenatii.... Paramount-$32 Andy's-$20 Orchidweb-$40 Grobraschener-18 EUR
IOSPE PHOTOS

Stanhopea wardii..... Paramount-$38 Andy's-$32 SBOE-$25> Oakhill-$20
IOSPE PHOTOS

zxyqu 05-15-2011 01:50 PM

Zygopetalum mackayi (paramount, $28, Andy's, $24)
Phalaenopsis venosa (paramount $32, Brennan's $25)

flhiker 05-16-2011 12:05 AM

Here's a list of orchid vendors in Canada. I used Clouds in the past but they require a minimum of 50.00 purchase.
Canadian Orchid Vendors

and European vendors search engine. Just type the name of the plant and it should give you a list of vendors that carry that plant.

Orchid Vendors in the European Union