Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Greenhouse Gardening (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/)
-   -   cleaning out the gh (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/greenhouse-gardening/46503-cleaning-gh.html)

dounoharm 05-10-2011 10:09 AM

cleaning out the gh

well i used the roundup on the gh floor, and killed all the wild and rampant weeds...first i pulled what i could, then roundup heavily on the remainder....i will take gins advice and start a regime of preen, as those little black seeds from that horrible oxalis were everywhere!
before i bring in the underbench plants, i will wait two weeks and roundup one more time, that should get the tough survivors....i thot i loved my gravel floor, but this weed epidemic has changed my mind!:evil:

WhiteRabbit 05-11-2011 01:13 AM

yikes - sounds like a lot of work - I've been spraying weeds (growing in cracks in cement) with white vinegar - works great, tho I guess it lacks any residual effect that round-up probably has ...

RJSquirrel 05-11-2011 03:01 AM

not liking the gravel floor?

weeds thru cracks in the cement?

hmmm glad Im reading so I can avoid these nuisances :)

... check out people places and listen to what they like and dont like before you get excited and build a greenhouse uhh shadehouse or what ever you need for your plants. We have an old broke down rattly barn thats so ill conceived, is not easy to fix or tear down after the fact. And Why its old broke down and rattly :)

good luck!!

RosieC 05-11-2011 06:41 AM

On that issue, I've never had weeks come through the cracks between my paving stones.

I laid (or should I say DH laid) a bed of sand and cement below the paving slabs. It seems to have stopped everything (so far). I'm sure it will break down in time but seems to be doing good so far :)

Eyebabe 05-11-2011 07:38 AM

And my cement floor has no cracks....I love it!

dounoharm 05-11-2011 04:27 PM

well my plan is to save my money (hahahaha) and buy some pavers to pave the whole floor, that should be more manageable, and will still keep the humidity of the gravel...i only just bought 3 paphs, lol...from piping rock....lmao....that would have covered a lot of pavers....

WhiteRabbit 05-11-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyebabe (Post 402674)
And my cement floor has no cracks....I love it!

:bowing
I don't have a g/h, but do have a cement driveway, and a small patio with paving stones - get weeds there - I love that I can "zap" them with vinegar :D

RJSquirrel 05-12-2011 05:28 AM

if you had put the weed barrier down under the gravel you would have been okey you think?..I put that stuff down in moms flower beds and they stay weedless for the most part...you can take the gravel out and start over :)

can you tell I like to tear stuff up?

dounoharm 05-12-2011 07:16 AM

there is weed barrier under the gravel squirrel...the weeds come from the top, ferns and oxalis...they came with the orchids and reproduced....

RJSquirrel 05-12-2011 08:24 PM

ahhh hitchhikers :) I seeeeeee now said the blind man