Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   I'm getting my Master's Degree (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/45182-im-getting-masters-degree.html)

shadytrake 03-30-2011 03:30 PM

I'm getting my Master's Degree

I must be crazy. I just started my Master's degree in Accounting at University of Phoenix (online).

I have no accounting background just my work experience (10 years in international manufacturing and logistics).

I did okay my first week, but now in the 2nd week I think I might be in over my head. I know the basics of a balance sheet but I don't have the formal background from school.

I am interested in forensic accounting and auditing and I want to branch out if opportunities come my way.

Feeling a little overwhelmed. :shock::faint:

Eyebabe 03-30-2011 03:35 PM

Slow and steady wins the race ;)
Hang in there! You can do it!
It takes time to get back into the swing of "school" after you've been doing real life for a while...

Becky15349 03-30-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyebabe (Post 390936)
Slow and steady wins the race ;)
Hang in there! You can do it!
It takes time to get back into the swing of "school" after you've been doing real life for a while...

So true!! It's hard to step outside one's comfort zone. We have faith in you! Do it do it do it! :)

shadytrake 03-30-2011 08:02 PM

I'm such an idiot...I was in the wrong program.

I was wondering why I thought I was missing like 10 pre-req classes.:oops_sign

I thought I signed up for the MBA with Accounting Concentration. :blushing:

Well I called my advisor and we chatted and got it all straightened out and in the meantime, I changed my major to the MBA in Global Management since I work for an international company.

No harm, no foul...It only cost me one week. Better to get it right early. :coverlaugh:

Connie Star 03-30-2011 08:54 PM

Good to hear that you're in the right program now. I admire you for going back to school.
:youcandothis::youcandothis::youcandothis:

camille1585 03-31-2011 03:54 AM

Glad you noticed the mistake! Hopefully this time the courses will be a bit easier for you. How long will it take you to get the degree?

Jennyfleur 04-01-2011 10:07 AM

Tee hee, you're not the first student to turn up to the wrong classes and I'm sure you won't be the last! (I've had some in mine who suddenly realise they're in the wrong place when I point out I don't have them registered)

Congrats on venturing down the postgrad route :) I started off in accounting before turning to linguistics and, nearly 8 years later, I'm getting ready to submit my PhD! When you find something you like and enjoy, the 'study' aspect is so much easier and didn't ever start a new course (at both undergrad and during my MA) without feeling daunted, you just settle in, make friends, build study groups and everything sorts itself out :)

Good Luck!

RosieC 04-01-2011 02:08 PM

Hey, good on you for going for it. I don't think I could face going back to studying!

Glad you found you were on the wrong course quickly :)

shadytrake 04-01-2011 03:03 PM

Thanks everyone. It's been 16 years since I graduated from the university...wow has it been that long?:faint::faint:

My undergrad is in Music Performance (classical viola).

Camille -it will take me 1 1/2 years to get my MBA possibly a little longer with the concentration classes.

I know I can do it. :nailbite::biggrin:

shadytrake 08-11-2014 08:54 AM

Came across this old thread and thought I would update it. I have two classes to go! Graduation is just around the corner. I should be finished in late October early November! Graduating with honors and I'm pretty sure I am in the top 10 in my class.