Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Survey about orchid spending (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/40234-survey-orchid-spending.html)

Orchidreamer 10-18-2010 10:10 PM

Survey about orchid spending

I don't know if there's already a thread like this (let me know if there is).

Two simple questions:
1) What's the most $ you've ever spent on an orchid?
2) What's the most $ you're willing to spend on an orchid?

Just curious.

mollycart1 10-18-2010 10:51 PM

1) About ten years ago, I spent $75 for a single growth micranthum from Orchids Limited, which never bloomed on me.

2) Hmmm. No more than $100.

BTW, take a look at this Japanese Neofinetia auction site. It is being asked for $3,000 for a tiny plant with two 'sad' roots.

Japanese Neofinetia

Angurek 10-19-2010 12:13 AM

1) The most I've ever spent on a single orchid was about $75, on a Pescatorea cerina from Orchids Limited (I don't regret it one bit, though. They sent me an awesome plant).
2) My limit on a single plant is $80, and my limit on a haul is $150.

:)

susiep 10-19-2010 12:21 AM

The most I have spent on one plant is $125 fpr a specimen sized Den chrysotoxum. (Which is not doing so well, by the way).

Usually I don't spend over about $150 in one shopping trip (orchid show or auction).

trdyl 10-19-2010 02:09 AM

The most I have ever spent on a seedling is about $100.00

I can not truthfully say what is the most I would be willing to spend. It really depends on the plant in question.

stonedragonfarms 10-19-2010 02:37 AM

I'm in line with the others, the most that I have spent on a single plant was $75 on Cym. Sweet Devon 'Sweet'; though I have spent upwards of $400 on an order--I visited a nursery when I was in Peru that was going to be at the WOC in Miami and had them ship me plants when they were in the US for the show...

natasha 10-19-2010 04:19 AM

the most i have spent on a orchid is RM150, which is less than USD50 (maybe about USD 48?). it is a phal gigantea with two leaves. i wanted to have a phal gigantea so much...

but anyway, how much money i am willing to spend really depend on the plant in question, and whether i am capable to take care of it. i am not willing to blow my money if i am not sure i can take care of it, say maybe a mule ear oncidium? i am not good in oncidiums anyway

i am willing to spend up to RM200 (~USD65?) per plant - provided i really wanted it... most i would spend per haul is RM1000 (~USD322) which is very2 seldom!

UKCat 10-19-2010 05:14 AM

The most I have paid is $55 (£35 GBP) for a good sized Cym L.B.S 'Black Magic'
I don't know what I would be willing to go up to price wise for 1 plant, it would depend on the type of plant and it's size.
The biggest order I have done for multiple plants was $450, but I had to save hard to get that amount of money together :lol:

RosieC 10-19-2010 05:37 AM

The most I've spent is £35 GBP (I'll go with UKCat's estimate of that being about $55) for a massive NoID Cym. It may have been a noid but the size was worth the price.

I would pay up to about £50 GBP without having to think too hard about it, I would go up to £100 if it was something I really really wanted (been looking at some Phrags which are aproaching that for a decent size plant).

I've spent arround £200 in a single show visit before, usually an online order is more arround £65 per order.

The limiting factor of course is more not upsetting the hubby... if I didn't have him to keep me in check I could easily spend far far more in a single order. :coverlaugh:

Bolero 10-19-2010 07:39 AM

The most I have spent is about $250 and I wouldn't like to spend more.......well not at the moment anyway.