Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   AOS (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/aos/)
-   -   "I'M boycotting the AOS" (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/aos/37893-im-boycotting-aos.html)

epiphyte78 07-29-2010 11:12 PM

"I'M boycotting the AOS"

Does it matter where this forum is located? That people have been concerned and continue to be concerned with where the AOS is located is a reflection of the underlying problem.

For example...it doesn't matter where Richard Lindberg is located. Sure, I'd love to visit his collection but what's important is that he shares his information with everybody who has access to the internet. With a few clicks you can RSS subscribe to his orchid blog for free.

Is it expensive to create a blog? No, it's completely free. Does it require any more technical skill than posting in this forum? Nope.

One of the primary goals of an orchid society is to facilitate the exchange of information between members. The current cost of being a member of the AOS is a reflection of the cost of producing Orchids Magazine. Switching over to a blog format will reduce the cost of membership to practically nothing.

In the most recent AOS Beginner Newsletter the first topic was titled "You Can Help". Basically the AOS asked for more money to fund a magazine supplement. Seriously? Why pay for a magazine supplement that only a few people can read when that information which was freely given can be freely shared on an AOS blog that everyone could read?

If you care about your orchids would it make sense to deprive them of the light, nutrients and water that they need to grow? No it wouldn't, so boycott the AOS until they start caring about the orchid hobby as much as you care about your orchids.

p.s. Feel free to send this post to the AOS for them to include in their next magazine.

gnathaniel 07-31-2010 12:30 AM

So...interesting idea about a new format for Orchids magazine, but what does that have to do with boycotting the AOS?

I mean, it's not exactly expensive to join the AOS. $65 is about what a lot of people spend on 2-3 restaurant dinners for two, or for that matter on 2-3 orchids. Personally I like getting a nice print magazine each month; cost per issue is just a little more than $5, and that doesn't count the support I'm giving to the rest of the organization. YMMV, I guess...

Do you have a particular beef with the AOS (beyond some of the apparent mismanagement in recent years)? Just curious. :)

--Nat

Jayfar 07-31-2010 06:14 AM

I just joined a couple days ago in response to a thread I saw on another orchid forum. It seems the AOS' finances are so precarious right now that they are selling off their building and gardens.

Swamper 07-31-2010 07:45 AM

Thanks for the RSS link.

peeweelovesbooks 07-31-2010 04:25 PM

Although I don't belong to the AOS, I'm indifferent as to the current situation.

I've never joined simply because I don't find their magazine useful or informative. I can look at pictures online, and FWIW, the information contained in the magazine is not really that useful.

Having said that, you do seem to have very strong feelings on the matter.

ronaldhanko 07-31-2010 10:37 PM

I've complained about some things in the past regarding the AOS, but I think they need a bit of defense here. I think their awards system is invaluable, remember how much their magazine meant to me when I started in orchids - I read everything including the ads, learned where to get plants there, and gleaned huge amounts of information. They are suffering as most periodicals are, from the fact that there's so much info available on the web and are having a difficult time adjusting to that. I think it would be a huge shame if we lost the AOS. We'd lose the judging system (at the shows as well) - all volunteer, by the way. We'd lose the body that coordinates and keeps track of the local societies and their shows. We'd lose their magazine.

trdyl 07-31-2010 10:46 PM

Ron, I agree with you.

camille1585 07-31-2010 11:16 PM

I'm going to have to agree with Ron here. While the AOS does have its problems, its demise would be a huge loss for all the reasons he mentions. What would we do without their award system?

Being in europe I have never read their magazine until coming to the USA for a 5 month stay, and in may I picked up a bunch of older issues at a used book sale. While it's true that much of the information is readily available on internet for me the magazine has huge appeal because I really prefer to read stuff printed rather than on a screen. I also found a lot of the articles quite interesting.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 07-31-2010 11:17 PM

Maybe instead of boycotting the AOS, contribute to the magazine.

Aren't they written by members? If they are, go join and write an article.

If you go on a safari or orchid hunting trip, write about that. How invaluable would that be?

If you've got a hybrid that not a lot of people have, but people would like to know how to grow, why not write about it?

Don't like what you see, and you have some realistic control over it...

Do something about it. ;)

The problem with the net is searching for the information amidst a sea of information. Sifting through the detritus. Then having to see if there're any photos of the plant in cultivation and in-situ.

In house wars are senseless and hurt everyone in the end. Just my :twocents:

Laura 08-01-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnathaniel (Post 331962)
So...interesting idea about a new format for Orchids magazine, but what does that have to do with boycotting the AOS?

I mean, it's not exactly expensive to join the AOS. $65 is about what a lot of people spend on 2-3 restaurant dinners for two, or for that matter on 2-3 orchids. Personally I like getting a nice print magazine each month; cost per issue is just a little more than $5, and that doesn't count the support I'm giving to the rest of the organization. YMMV, I guess...

Do you have a particular beef with the AOS (beyond some of the apparent mismanagement in recent years)? Just curious. :)

--Nat

I just wanted to add my 2 cents here ... I am just a window sill grower but I was a member of the AOS for many years, yes I did enjoy getting the magazines, but for me the cost got to be to much... so to some people $65.00 is expensive.