Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Coelogyne Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/coelogyne-alliance/)
-   -   Thunia marshalliana (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/coelogyne-alliance/37380-thunia-marshalliana.html)

RobS 07-14-2010 01:08 PM

Thunia marshalliana

Amazed that this orchid doesn't have it's thread yet.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...rshalliana.jpg

Thunia alba (syn Thunia marshalliana as I just found out)

Easy to grow if you know what to do. Don't water until the new growth is 3-5cm / 1-2 inch. Then water regulary untill the leaves fall down then no water untill the new shoot arrives. Flowers every year with beautifull white flowers with a nice scent. Only downside is that in the warm summer the flowers last only a week.

Some people say it's a bit susceptible to mites but I've been growing mine in the living room for 3 years without any problems.

Angurek 07-15-2010 04:06 PM

Very nice. I love the contrasting bronzy brown markings on the ruffled lip.

I didn't know Thunias are members of the Coelogyne alliance. You learn something new every day, I suppose. :)

RobS 07-15-2010 04:24 PM

Just found out that the name is a synonym according to Kew it should be Thunia alba.

Also the family doesn't seem to be clear after some extra checks I've found Coelogyninae and Thuniinae as subtribe both have Arethuseae as tribe both on Wikipedia even (different languages). So I assume it's splitters versus lumpers again.

trdyl 07-15-2010 05:21 PM

It is lovely! That lip color is wonderful.

pheli 07-15-2010 08:55 PM

It is pretty.

RosieC 07-22-2010 05:47 AM

Really pretty, love the smooth white and bronze!

calvin_orchidL 07-22-2010 08:24 AM

This is one of my favourites, and it's nice to hear that the flowers last longer than a DAY which is typical for most of these 'bamboo' orchids, at least most of those in the genera arundina and sobralia. How large does it get? I really dig the colour combo.

In regards to the taxonomy, I don't believe the Thunia have anything to do with the coelogyne. Not sure where on wikipedia you found that info - couldn't seem to find it myself but if you can link it here, that'd be great.

The earliest shared classification stage is the epidendroideae subfamily (which basically includes almost all orchids except the ones with pouches..and vanilla), within which are the tribes Arethuseae and Coelogyneae. The other bamboo orchids (sobralia, arunidna, thunia) are under Arethuseae, and the coelogyne relatives (coelogyne, blettia, pleione) are under Coelogyneae. Hope that makes sense

Izzie 07-22-2010 12:47 PM

:blushing: Okay, I have to come clean.
I love love love this orchid! It's stunning, and the show it's put on and your wonderful photography are amazing.

:rofl: But whenever I see the name of this thread, or this orchid......

I think of marshmallows. :shock:

RobS 07-22-2010 12:48 PM

Wikimedia = Familia: Orchidaceae • Subfamilia: Epidendroideae • Tribus: Arethuseae • Subtribus: Coelogyninae • Genus: Thunia Thunia - Wikimedia Commons (same as Dutch Wikipedia)

Wikipedia (English) = Family: Orchidaceae Subfamily: Epidendroideae Tribe: Arethuseae Subtribe: Thuniinae
Genus: Thunia Thunia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other linky = Coelogyninae

What can I say Taxonomy......

The plant is about 50-70cm or 20-30 inch. Mine is 50 cm but I've seen taller. The canes get to about 3 cm / 1 inch in diameter.

johnblagg 07-22-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izzie (Post 329615)
:blushing: Okay, I have to come clean.
I love love love this orchid! It's stunning, and the show it's put on and your wonderful photography are amazing.

:rofl: But whenever I see the name of this thread, or this orchid......

I think of marshmallows. :shock:

LOL I get the thinking of marshmallows ...but and again I have to laught because hibiscus make me think of marshmallow because the wild herbaceous types of thos were once called that and indeed used to make marshmallow