Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchids in the Wild (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-the-wild/)
-   -   How about a trip to the Fakahatchee Strand? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-the-wild/34752-trip-fakahatchee-strand.html)

susiep 04-14-2010 06:16 PM

How about a trip to the Fakahatchee Strand?

:hello Would anyone be interested in a little field trip to the Fakahatchee Strand before rainy season gets here? I have been wanting to go for a while, haven't you?

Dave (flhiker) has generously offered to be our guide if I would organize it! I thought we could go on a Sat or Sun morning and bring our cameras and lunch and just have a great Orchid Board get-together.

So, I will keep bumping this thread up so everyone sees it. Also I will try to catch some people on Chat. We better go soon. It will just get hotter and more rainy as time goes on. Dave said the water is already knee deep in some of the areas we would like to see.

Please let me know which dates will work for you, starting with this coming weekend. Then I will get Dave to pick what will work for him.

:biggrin:

lobsterman 04-14-2010 08:53 PM

Susan,

I'm in Davie, but don't know where that strand is. I would be interested. Please let me know either here or a PM. Thanks.

Steve

susiep 04-14-2010 09:02 PM

Hi Steve,

I'm in Weston. It's not too far from us. Here is a link. Welcome to Florida State Parks

jim4eq 04-14-2010 11:42 PM

my problem with waiting is that most of the ghost orchids don't bloom until june/july, why go to see a bunch of roots??

ps, I'm in hollywood, would love to go again. Third saturdays are out, AOS judging but sundays and the other saturdays are good.

susiep 04-15-2010 12:03 AM

Good point, Jim. We all want to see ghosts. But we can go more than just once. I would like to go now while the water is low(er) and the weather is nice. We could go again in June for the ghosts. Would you be interested in going in the next couple of weeks if it fit in with your schedule?

Swamper 04-15-2010 01:32 AM

I'd go

got ants 04-15-2010 08:57 AM

I'm interested, but please give me some advance warning..

like this weekend is out (best friends 50th)

May 16-18 (Redlands Festival)

Thats all I got right now...TYVM

BTW Jim, I'm in Hollywood too, have we met?

Tindomul 04-15-2010 10:30 AM

I would so go!! But Im stranded here in NYC. Thanks for organizing it. Maybe next year for me :D :pray:

flhiker 04-15-2010 11:16 AM

Just a reminder. Besides Ghost Orchids. There are 40+ different orchids within the strand. If you've never been in the Florida Everglades before, you will see a ecosystem like no other. Simply Beautiful Sloughs, Blooming bromeliads. And if your really lucky you may see some awesome wildlife (Deer, Hog, Gators, Panther, many different birds, Owls, Hawks, Rosette spoonbill, showy egrets and much more ..., It's a Fantastic Experience you will never forget. And if you really enjoy yourself your welcome to come again when it's 10 degrees hotter and much buggier when the Ghosts are flowering.

cb977 04-15-2010 11:53 AM

Great idea, folks!
Have fun and take lots of :photo:

making this a sticky :Tup: