Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Finca Dracula (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/19928-finca-dracula.html)

harrywitmore 01-24-2009 11:44 AM

Finca Dracula

I will be visiting this Orchid Farm next month and I have been trying to find out if they will ship to the US. I know Woodstream Orchids use to be their US distributor but that is not longer the case it seems. I would like to pick out some things while I'm there if possible.

I'm very excited to be able to go there.:)

EdinAZ 01-24-2009 01:58 PM

You will love it !

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrywitmore (Post 185686)
I will be visiting this Orchid Farm next month and I have been trying to find out if they will ship to the US. I know Woodstream Orchids use to be their US distributor but that is not longer the case it seems. I would like to pick out some things while I'm there if possible.

I'm very excited to be able to go there.:)

Harry,

If it's your first visit (or not) you'll find it just amazing. The grounds are beautiful, and the Orchids they grow there will include many you have probably never seen before, and may never again.

It's too bad about their relationship with The Goldners. At first it seemed that there was just a temporary interruption, but it now appears that there is no relationship at all. I don't know if any other grower is (or has) picked up an importing deal with the Maduros. That would be a shame, since they always had so many wonderful Panama orchids available through Woodstream. When we have been there in the past, they didn't seem to actually have a "for sale" area . . . and we didn't inquire about the possibility since I knew that many things were available through Woodstream.

Hopefully you will be staying in the area for a bit. The hiking in Vulcan Baru and La Amistad Parks is great. The cloud forest is such a unique environment, the vegetation, the birds, etc., etc. . . . If you like birds too, you will have a good chance to see a Quetzal. They are common in the area, and should be "out and about" at that time of year. We have seen them on the Finca Dracula grounds. Hummingbirds too . . . I won't get started on the birds!

I'm sure your accomodations are already set, but for your next visit, I recommend "the cabins" at Los Quetzales. You just can't get more "away from it all" than you can there, yet you are well cared for and can easily walk into "town" (Guadalupe is sooooo small) and to Finca Dracula. Also very reasonably priced.

Sorry I can't help you with how to get some orchids shipped in, but if you are able to talk with one of the Maduros while you are there they might have some ideas. I sympathize with your wanting to, and after you see the things they are growing there you'll want to even MORE. I hope you find a way.

As you can tell, I love that area. My wife and I were there last in 2005, and we will be back there shortly also, in March for about a week, as well as some other interesting places in Panama.

I hope your visit to Finca Dracula, as well as your entire trip is very memorable. I'm sure it will be.

Ed

harrywitmore 01-24-2009 05:06 PM

We actually have a rather full trip ahead of us. We will be staying the Hotel Dos Rios while we are in the area of Finca dracula. We will also be visiting La Amistad and Boquette. We will then be visiting Cana and the Darien National Park for 2 days and a day at the Gamboa Rainforest Reserve. We have a day at both Finca Larida and Boca del Toro. My wife is really a bird lover and I like anything green for the most park and love epiphytes of all kinds. This is going to be our once in a lifetime trip I suspect since neither of us like to travel much.

EdinAZ 01-24-2009 06:39 PM

Fun in Panama

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrywitmore (Post 185795)
We actually have a rather full trip ahead of us. We will be staying the Hotel Dos Rios while we are in the area of Finca dracula. We will also be visiting La Amistad and Boquette. We will then be visiting Cana and the Darien National Park for 2 days and a day at the Gamboa Rainforest Reserve. We have a day at both Finca Larida and Boca del Toro. My wife is really a bird lover and I like anything green for the most park and love epiphytes of all kinds. This is going to be our once in a lifetime trip I suspect since neither of us like to travel much.

Harry,

It sounds like a fantastic trip. We have been to many of the places you are going and believe me, there will be lots and LOTS of "green" for you, and lots and LOTS of birds for your wife (maybe even a Harpy Eagle while you are down in the Darien). Good luck with the whole trip, and have a wonderful time!

Ed

harrywitmore 01-25-2009 04:27 PM

Thanks Ed. We are looking forward to the trip. I'm building a large terrarium (125 gallon Vertical) to display plants from Panama so I can savor the memories and it gives me a way of researching what I might see while I'm there.

Tindomul 01-30-2009 03:32 PM

Ooh, I have never heard of the place, but am excited for you, tremendously!!
You are so lucky, rain forests, cloud forests, Quetzals, Harpy EAGLES!!! OMG. Boca del Toro, you will be able to find D. pumilio and others. Tillandsias galore.
Is there a website to this Finca Dracula?

harrywitmore 01-30-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tindomul (Post 187607)
You are so lucky, rain forests, cloud forests, Quetzals, Harpy EAGLES!!! OMG. Boca del Toro, you will be able to find D. pumilio and others. Tillandsias galore.

There is a web site but it has almost no info or pictures on it. I plan to take LOTS of pictures so I will report back.

Tindomul 01-30-2009 04:43 PM

Thanks, I can't wait!!

EdinAZ 01-30-2009 07:00 PM

Another website

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tindomul (Post 187607)

Tindo,

Harry is right, there is not much on the web for Finca Dracula. Here is a website for a small hotel, with cabins as well as rooms for rent that is about 1/2 mile from Finca Dracula. It has a few more pictures, and shows something about the general area. It's also a great place to stay in that area.

Welcome to Los Quetzales

I'm with you . . . I can't wait to see Harry's pictures. I'll try to post some after my upcoming trip too. Then OBer's will have Panama overload.

Ed

harrywitmore 01-30-2009 07:31 PM

Ed, where are you traveling to?