Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Brassocattleya Yellow Bird (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/112952-brassocattleya-yellow-bird.html)

FranningtonBear 11-25-2023 11:01 AM

Brassocattleya Yellow Bird - new question!

4 Attachment(s)
I purchased the plant pictured bellow on eBay, around 10-12 months ago as a Bc. Yellow Bird. The plant arrived in an upside down hanging basket setup which is not ideal for my indoor, windowsill setup. I repotted it on arrival into a medium grade orchid bark, planting it not too deeply buried (I hope this makes sense!). I needed to cut a hard plastic basket and some very degraded coconut husk away and found a lot of dead or rotten roots which I also carefully removed. I soak the bark approx every 2-3 weeks depending on temperature and how dry the media looks, mist the roots above the growing media most days and fertilise roughly weekly.

Shortly after repotting multiple points of new growth started to emerge and I was thrilled to see 6 new canes developing. These new canes grew well until about 8 weeks ago since when they have not grown and one of the inner leaves on a new cane has turned brown.

I’m hoping that the change in growing style has just set the plant back and she is now adjusting and will come back in time. Please can those more experienced than me advise?

Louis_W 11-25-2023 11:50 AM

I did something similar with a wild child nodosa. I cut it up to fit it in a semi hydro pot. It grew quickly and some old leaves faded away. All to be expected. It's got a few spikes now about to go!

I'd say as long as it's is old growths dying and not the fresh growth you should be ok. If they are stalled just keep an eye on them. Sometimes kelpak helps wake them up too

Keysguy 11-25-2023 03:33 PM

You're fine. Some of the older growths are bound to sulk and may drop.

estación seca 11-25-2023 04:15 PM

This is a high light plant. Natural light in the UK is probably not sufficient.

FranningtonBear 01-25-2024 11:36 AM

I’m almost sure I know the answer to this but…

Would it be advantageous to return this plant to a hanging basket? I see other growers having much success this way. Or am I just being impatient?

estación seca 01-25-2024 12:53 PM

It's not going to grow much in winter. Give it time.

Ray 01-25-2024 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranningtonBear (Post 1014057)
Would it be advantageous to return this plant to a hanging basket? I see other growers having much success this way. Or am I just being impatient?

Probably not. Roots that have grown since you repotted it would likely suffer, requiring it to grow yet another root system.

Stay the course!