Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Propagation (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/)
-   -   Terrestrial Orchid Seed Growing (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/propagation/112755-terrestrial-orchid-seed-growing.html)

MichiganFairies 10-20-2023 02:34 PM

Terrestrial Orchid Seed Growing

I have (SAFELY) collected a bunch of orchid seeds from Michigan orchids like Spiranthes, Epipactis, Corallorhiza, Calopogon, and Isotria. I am going to try and grow them by seed, but I am not sure if I should flask them in a different way than epiphytes. I typically grow terrestrials as mature plants and have never flasked. Any help? Where to buy materials? What to know?

estación seca 10-20-2023 03:41 PM

The ones without chlorophyll won't survive at all in the absence of their specific symbiotic fungi. I haven't grow then others but I've read some of them sprout better in local soil than in flask. The local soil will often have the required fungi.

Subrosa 10-21-2023 04:09 AM

I grow Spiranthes and Calopogon among other terrestrials without flasking, via the cardboard method. Cardboard is soaked in rainwater for a week or two, then incorporated into a suitable mix for the intended species.The cellulose in the cardboard provides a food source that allows the fungi necessary for germination and early development. The same method has been used in Japan to grow multiple generations of a true mycoheterotrophic species of Gastrodia.

MichiganFairies 10-23-2023 08:49 AM

I'm a bit confused by that..

Me being a bit young, (15 to be exact) I don't really understand how that would work. Do I need to have soil with the mycorrhizal fungi already in it? I do have that but that is from an area with coralroot orchids. I do know that sometimes different orchids require a different type of fungi. Is there anything specific I need to do to get the fungi to grow with the cardboard? Sorry bout this lol, I may need more specific instructions.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

I do have soil from the area I found the coralroot orchids, so if I put seeds in there, would they actually grow?

Subrosa 10-23-2023 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichiganFairies (Post 1010578)
Me being a bit young, (15 to be exact) I don't really understand how that would work. Do I need to have soil with the mycorrhizal fungi already in it? I do have that but that is from an area with coralroot orchids. I do know that sometimes different orchids require a different type of fungi. Is there anything specific I need to do to get the fungi to grow with the cardboard? Sorry bout this lol, I may need more specific instructions.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

I do have soil from the area I found the coralroot orchids, so if I put seeds in there, would they actually grow?

I can't speak specifically to coral root, but generally speaking you should be able to get germination and early development if you have the proper fungus and create a suitable mix to culture it in. When I make up my mix I do add a handful of soil from the root zones of some local orchid colonies. Fortunately I have an area within a 5 minute walk where I can access at least 5 different species in a relatively small area, and use a handful of each. A more specific set of directions is as follows:

Get a clean piece of cardboard with no ink or tape on it and soak it a week or 2 in rain/distilled water. Then prepare the mix. For Spiranthes and Calopogon I use a 50/50;mix of peat and pool sand, for woodland species I use a mix of approximately equal parts peat, pool sand, and partially decomposed pine needles or oak leaves, since the area I mentioned in a pine/oak woodland. The cardboard can be incorporated in different ways. You could out the seasoned cardboard in a blender with just a touch of water to make a paste, or simply tear it into strips about as wide as your medium is deep and weave the strips vertically on edge through the medium. The medium should be moist but not sopping, then sow the seed. Cover the container or put put it in a zip lock bag. I put the containers outside in a dark place up against the foundation and keep them there until around Christmas. Then they come in and get diffused light 12 hours a day. Germination normally begins withing a month or so with Spiranthes and Calopogon, other species take a bit longer.

MichiganFairies 10-30-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subrosa (Post 1010581)
I can't speak specifically to coral root, but generally speaking you should be able to get germination and early development if you have the proper fungus and create a suitable mix to culture it in. When I make up my mix I do add a handful of soil from the root zones of some local orchid colonies. Fortunately I have an area within a 5 minute walk where I can access at least 5 different species in a relatively small area, and use a handful of each. A more specific set of directions is as follows:

Get a clean piece of cardboard with no ink or tape on it and soak it a week or 2 in rain/distilled water. Then prepare the mix. For Spiranthes and Calopogon I use a 50/50;mix of peat and pool sand, for woodland species I use a mix of approximately equal parts peat, pool sand, and partially decomposed pine needles or oak leaves, since the area I mentioned in a pine/oak woodland. The cardboard can be incorporated in different ways. You could out the seasoned cardboard in a blender with just a touch of water to make a paste, or simply tear it into strips about as wide as your medium is deep and weave the strips vertically on edge through the medium. The medium should be moist but not sopping, then sow the seed. Cover the container or put put it in a zip lock bag. I put the containers outside in a dark place up against the foundation and keep them there until around Christmas. Then they come in and get diffused light 12 hours a day. Germination normally begins withing a month or so with Spiranthes and Calopogon, other species take a bit longer.

I soaked the cardboard in water from a hose, is that ok?
Also I have plastic food containers if that would work