Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Big Leaf Orchids (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/1115-leaf-orchids.html)

Marty 09-10-2006 08:24 PM

Big Leaf Orchids

Here at Orchid Board we're unlike other forums and we don't believe in running boards in a competitive dictatorial fashion. We don't try to prevent our members from seeing other sources of information, or links that point to posts on other forums. We're not running a secret project here. Orchid Board was created to promote healthy exchange of Orchid Information.

If you did not find the phalaenopsis information you were looking for on OrchidBoard , take a look on Peter Lin's forum

http://www.phalaenopsis.net/phpBB/index.php

cb977 09-10-2006 08:57 PM

Thanks, Marty...nice site :)

Tindomul 09-11-2006 10:19 AM

Woo-hoo, I opened lines of communication, I feel happy now.

Gin 09-12-2006 03:30 PM

:cheer: For Marty ! Makes things a lot more interesting to be able to gather info. :biggrin: Gin

Oscarman 09-12-2006 06:13 PM

Great site at Big Leaf - what great photos of all the plants!

Wish they sold to Canada. :(

It really bugs me when you visit some orchid sites, and the pictures of their plants are not thumbnails (they don't enlarge). :angry:

The Viper 03-18-2008 07:52 AM

I thought that phals could take lower temps.

Realy good site!

tokidoki 04-01-2008 06:09 PM

hey there fellows sorry for the very late reply i have been very busy regarding my new job.. but anyways, yes i will take a picture :) i recently recieved my phal in spike which i ordered from orchids by hausermann... i ordered other orchids. 2 cymbidiums and 1 cattleya.. returning back to the phal, its in spike right now.. seems to be in good condition. the label on it is dtps. kung;s valentine 'sweet candy' X dtps carrie hillgonds.. right now its still spiked... on the very top of the spike is a bulb forming but its still very small... i have a question for ALL you phal enthusiasts and experts.. how long does it take for a spike to form a mature bulb? and what should i do? i took the phal to my new work.. condition is about 65-70 degrees here, full flourescent lighting no sun at all because im inside the building.. should i keep the orchid in a cool dark place while its in spike? or is the area where i have it in now ok? also its planted in a 2.5 inch square plastic pot.. so i guess i will have to water about every 4-5 days?

m_ms09 02-27-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokidoki (Post 94917)
hey there fellows sorry for the very late reply i have been very busy regarding my new job.. but anyways, yes i will take a picture :) i recently recieved my phal in spike which i ordered from orchids by hausermann... i ordered other orchids. 2 cymbidiums and 1 cattleya.. returning back to the phal, its in spike right now.. seems to be in good condition. the label on it is dtps. kung;s valentine 'sweet candy' X dtps carrie hillgonds.. right now its still spiked... on the very top of the spike is a bulb forming but its still very small... i have a question for ALL you phal enthusiasts and experts.. how long does it take for a spike to form a mature bulb? and what should i do? i took the phal to my new work.. condition is about 65-70 degrees here, full flourescent lighting no sun at all because im inside the building.. should i keep the orchid in a cool dark place while its in spike? or is the area where i have it in now ok? also its planted in a 2.5 inch square plastic pot.. so i guess i will have to water about every 4-5 days?

I left my phals in a VERY bright window that received pretty much full sun until noon-ish over this winter as the spikes formed. Before the buds opened, I moved the plants further from the window (I noticed their leaves were starting to turn funny colours...).

Water only when the media becomes dry and don't water the crown.
I would keep it somewhere were it would get indirect light (ie a nearby window), and avoid moving the plant around too much in relation to the direction from which the light is coming from as the buds are forming since this can result in bud drop. Phals I believe generally enjoy cooler night time temps (in the mid teens, celsius), so I don't think you should be too too concerned.

It will take a couple of weeks for the buds to form...mine took probably over a month!
It's well worth it in the end!

Phalguy 02-27-2009 08:25 PM

We should have a Big Leaf Orchids in Canada !
We need a phal grower in Canada ! ;-)

Claude

m_ms09 02-27-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phalguy (Post 198692)
We should have a Big Leaf Orchids in Canada !
We need a phal grower in Canada ! ;-)

Claude

Indeed! So many gorgeous ones! And it's so hard to get a good selection. I feel kind of sad when I see them at grocery stores...like I want to save them :(