Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Den. moniliforme Keiki? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/110779-den-moniliforme-keiki.html)

c123anderson 11-10-2022 09:45 AM

Den. moniliforme Keiki?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone! I am somewhat new to the dendrobium moniliforme world, and was looking at one of my plants and saw what I thought was a keiki.

1. Is this a keiki?
2. On such a little plant, should I be worried/try to remove it?
3. Other thoughts on what to do?

thanks!

tmoney 11-10-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c123anderson (Post 995005)
Hi everyone! I am somewhat new to the dendrobium moniliforme world, and was looking at one of my plants and saw what I thought was a keiki.

1. Is this a keiki?
2. On such a little plant, should I be worried/try to remove it?
3. Other thoughts on what to do?

thanks!

hey, we r dendro newbs ourself, but seeing that little keiki we would leave it till the spring before separating. that’s just our uninformed opinion tho, and hopefully more experienced growers will weigh in. good luck!

estación seca 11-10-2022 11:02 AM

That's how this species makes new growth. I would leave it alone.

isurus79 11-10-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 995013)

That's what I was thinking as well. Plant looks a bit dehydrated too.

c123anderson 11-10-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 995014)
Plant looks a bit dehydrated too.

Just got this one a few days ago.

Makes me wonder about the keiki, since I associate those with plant distress.

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 995013)

So with the den. moniliforme, they produce new bulbs as well as keikis as routine?

Frankly, I like this little guy. It looks like it has the potential to be a nice specimen, and I like that it seems to have some character.

estación seca 11-10-2022 11:52 AM

It's not a keiki and not a sign of problems. It's a normal new growth from the base of the plant. This species often makes normal new growth from somewhat above the rhizome. That is common in orchids that grow on vertical tree trunks or rocks.

c123anderson 11-10-2022 12:05 PM

Thank you. It seems like a pretty and happy little growth.

c123anderson 11-12-2022 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 995014)
That's what I was thinking as well. Plant looks a bit dehydrated too.

I've had this question since I read your reply. Let me preface the question with this: I mean no disrespect or challenge to your observation by asking. I would just like to know what to look for for myself in the future.

How do you see that it looks a bit dehydrated? What signs are you seeing?

Thank you!

isurus79 11-14-2022 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c123anderson (Post 995182)
I've had this question since I read your reply. Let me preface the question with this: I mean no disrespect or challenge to your observation by asking. I would just like to know what to look for for myself in the future.

How do you see that it looks a bit dehydrated? What signs are you seeing?

Thank you!

No problem! I see pretty distinct "ribs" on those canes in the background. They seem too sunken for a plant that is entering the dry season from the wet, growing season.

c123anderson 11-14-2022 04:57 PM

Stephen, that explanation makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

This a new-to-me plant, having only had it for a couple of weeks at the most. I didn't think it was too distressed, but your explanation makes me pause and reexamine the plant.

In the meantime, for anyone who may have thoughts, is there a "good" way to rehabilitate a dehydrated/distressed plant?

There's been several that I've bought/received that have needed some TLC: I can see actual change on the beallara and maxillaria (pseudobulbs look so much better), and at least two dendrobiums seem to be happy. I feel that I have stumbled through the process through some dumb luck and a lot of patience.

Does anyone have any tips on rehabbing orchids?