Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Dinotefuran questions and mealy bugs (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/110418-dinotefuran-questions-mealy-bugs.html)

sewagner86 09-08-2022 10:56 AM

Dinotefuran questions and mealy bugs

I have had a mealy bug problem. I see it most when my oncidiums spike and bloom. I have been spot treating with rubbing alcohol as it is not an overwhelming infestation, but I really want to get rid of these suckers. I have some dinotefuran. Has anyone used this successfully without harming your plants? Any advice on its use? If it wouldn't be best choice, is there something I might be able to get to use?

And just for reference, I have a few cattleyas and dendrobiums, phalaenopsis hybrids and a few phalaenopsis species, and quite a few oncidiums.

Thanks!!!

Ray 09-08-2022 02:19 PM

The key to getting rid of mealy bugs (any bugs, I suppose), is to do a very thorough treatment, not the occasional spot treatment.

Wet all exposed plant surfaces and drench the medium (mealies can live on the roots, too). Repeat per the product instructions. For most, I do three treatments, spaced one-week apart. Safari says 2 treatments, 12-21 days apart.
Safari, which is a 20% dinotefuran product, does have mealybugs listed on their label, but not specifically for orchids.

Roberta 09-08-2022 03:47 PM

I have the granular form of Safari. I sprinkle 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon (depending on pot size) on the top of the medium, where it gets slowly watered in, for scale on Catts (and also occasionally on Cyms). So it gets absorbed by the roots and into the growths, especially the new growth. I have found that most of the time, it's one and done... the problem goes away and doesn't come back. For a stubborn case, maybe I'll repeat in 6 months, second time almost always takes care of it. This is sort of off-label and I'm not licensed for pesticide application so take this as a very unofficial opinion. But it sure works. And doesn't get in places likely to harm bees, a very bad side effect of pesticides like this... whether you do what I do or spray it, do it surgically only to affected plants to minimize unintended harm to beneficial insects. Mealies aren't as stubborn as scale, but same concept.

realoldbeachbum 09-08-2022 05:44 PM

I currently have a mealybug infestation and have been searching for a systemic solution. I found Safari on Amazon but the price is crazy high. Is there another product that contains dinotefuran in pellet form that might be more affordable?

All orchids are inside so no harm to bees & butterflies.

Roberta 09-08-2022 06:04 PM

It's crazy-expensive. But get the smallest amount, you'll likely be set for a lifetime. Or maybe you can share the stuff, and expense, with another person. (One of the many advantages of a society). A little bit goes a very long way, especially since it so effective.

estación seca 09-08-2022 06:26 PM

I'll chime in and repeat I can eliminate mealy bugs from orchids (and every other plant I've tried it on) by submerging the entire plant and pot for 8-12 hours in a solution of water and just enough liquid dish detergent to generate a few bubbles when stirred.

sunfire 09-08-2022 10:05 PM

Small quantity. 40%. Reasonable price for small collection (USA).

Alpine WSG

Ray 09-09-2022 07:59 AM

ROBB,

My go-to for mealy bugs has been Acephate, but when I was out, I found a reasonable alternative:

Go to a Lowes or Home Depot and pick up some BioAdvanced 3-in-1 Insect, Disease, and Mite Control.

In these parts, pyracantha plants are “mealy magnets”. We had one that was SO infested, it looked like it had been sprayed with that Christmas fake snow flocking. The 3-in-1 product took them right out.

realoldbeachbum 09-11-2022 07:02 PM

Thanks all for guidance on mealybug abatement. Ray, I tried BioAdvanced 3in1 and it didn't take them out. May the infestation was too great, or I missed that one in a thousand.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Thanks Sunfire. Just placed the order. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks, ROBB

realoldbeachbum 09-21-2022 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunfire (Post 992274)
Small quantity. 40%. Reasonable price for small collection (USA).

Alpine WSG

Sunfire - I received the Dinotefuran today from Amazon. It is in granule form (which I wanted), but instructions say to mix with water. Nowhere in the instruction packet do they indicate it can be sprinkled on top media and and slowly watered in.

Do you mix with water or sprinkle pellets on top? If you sprinkle on top how much do you use (by pot size).

Thanks so much, ROBB