Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   very small orchid (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/108763-orchid.html)

Nicola108 01-13-2022 01:57 PM

very small orchid

2 Attachment(s)
Hello, everyone,
I've been away for a long time but finally managed to get back to Brazil.
A tree I have in my garden died but on the now dry branches I noticed some small plants.
I think it is an orchid, and it is the smallest I have ever seen.
The flowers are a couple of millimetres in size.
It would be nice to confirm the species and the most suitable care.
Thank you and a big hug to you all.
Nicola

Roberta 01-13-2022 05:14 PM

I don't know the species (or even the genus), certainly is an orchid, but if it appeared in your absence, with no care, I think the care is whatever Mother Nature has been providing. How wonderful!

Grautier 01-14-2022 09:55 AM

May be Phymatidium hysteranthum?

Nicola108 01-14-2022 10:00 PM

Thanks Roberta, I think the plants had already been there for some time but I hadn't noticed them before because they were hidden among the loquat leaves.
Now they are exposed to full sun and maybe it is not their optimal condition.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grautier (Post 978095)
May be Phymatidium hysteranthum?

Thank you Grautier for your suggestion,
it definitely looks like it.
I looked up what the growing conditions are, and read that it likes shade, lots of moisture and ventilation.
So I'm thinking of cutting off the branches where they have grown and see if I can keep them alive.

Fishkeeper 01-15-2022 07:10 PM

Oh, look at the little things! Did they newly show up while you were gone, or do you think they were already there and hidden by the tree's leaves? Either way, what a little prize.

I would move them to a shady place that's close to where you found them, since they seem to like your growing conditions. If there are multiple different plants, maybe try a few different spots. Do you have any other, similar trees? You could place a stick with one of the orchids in a similar tree and tie the stick in place, in case that's what it would like.

King_of_orchid_growing:) 01-16-2022 03:47 PM

I would have to second the ID. It definitely reminds me of Phymatidium.

Nicola108 01-16-2022 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishkeeper (Post 978244)
Oh, look at the little things! Did they newly show up while you were gone, or do you think they were already there and hidden by the tree's leaves? Either way, what a little prize.

Thank you Fishkeeper,
I think they had already been on the tree for some time but I hadn't noticed them before.
On some of the higher branches there are other plants and I think your advice is very good.

YetAnotherOrchidNut 01-17-2022 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicola108 (Post 978024)
Hello, everyone,
I've been away for a long time but finally managed to get back to Brazil.
A tree I have in my garden died but on the now dry branches I noticed some small plants.
I think it is an orchid, and it is the smallest I have ever seen.
The flowers are a couple of millimetres in size.
It would be nice to confirm the species and the most suitable care.
Thank you and a big hug to you all.
Nicola

How awesome. I have no idea what it is, but i give you joy for your luck!

plantbuddy 02-25-2022 11:38 AM

Well aren't they just the cutest things!!! Good find!!

DirtyCoconuts 02-25-2022 12:15 PM

what a treat!