Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Terrarium Gardening (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/)
-   -   To Drill or not to Drill? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/terrarium-gardening/108700-drill-drill.html)

GravesSpeaks 01-06-2022 03:12 PM

To Drill or not to Drill?

Background:
I am converting a 50 gallon bowfront into an orchid tank. I plan to have all of my orchids mounted and above the substrate (3" V2 NEHERP). There will be jewel orchids, ferns, goldfish plants...whatever else I decide to try in the substrate. This substrate was selected because I think it will be particularly fast drying.

The Point:

So, I wasn't planning to drill this originally. Just carefully balance the moisture with my Mistking system and (if all else fails) suck up any excess water. HOWEVER, I realize I will probably be drilling 9/16" holes for the mist nozzles in the lid of my tank anyway...should I go ahead, take the chance and drill the tank as well? It is currently bare bottom.

If I did...what size bit would I need?

estación seca 01-06-2022 07:10 PM

I would not. It seriously affects the glass strength.

GravesSpeaks 01-06-2022 07:19 PM

Works for me!

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Do you think I should get acrylic instead of glass for the lid , then? I worry it would bow under heat…but if it is 5 or 6mm it probably wouldn’t, maybe?

Ray 01-07-2022 09:19 AM

Depending upon the tank, some of them use tempered glass (I’d check with the manufacturer), so any attempt to drill them would result in breakage. If it’s not, a diamond drill bit, when used under water, will give the cleanest cut - just take it slow.

How big the hole should be is really up to you, but I’d recommend a false bottom under the substrate so there is room for excess water to collect, then silicone a barbed connector in the hole so you can use flexible vinyl tubing to take it away.

I would go with polycarbonate over acrylic for the top (usplastic.com is a decent source of plastics), or you could have a local glass shop do the drilling for you, so they take the breakage risk.

WaterWitchin 01-07-2022 09:42 AM

Yes, my guess would be a 50 gal bow front would more than likely be tempered glass. I would also do the false bottom as Ray indicates. So much easier to plan ahead than go back and fix after it's set up.

Jmbaum 01-20-2022 11:08 AM

In my experience, for a terrarium of only plants, a mist king system is entirely unnecessary and the excess water droplets promote disease. Foggers are much better route if your humidity is dropping.

if you require a hole, the lid is the obvious choice as Ray points out.