Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Identification Forum (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/)
-   -   Orchid I saw at Atlanta Orchid Show 2021 (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/identification-forum/108616-orchid-atlanta-orchid-2021-a.html)

KrazyK1224 12-26-2021 05:18 PM

Orchid I saw at Atlanta Orchid Show 2021

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I saw this orchid at the Atlanta Orchid show a few weeks ago and I was hoping someone would know what it is. I think it's in the Cattleya Alliance but that's all I know. I couldn't see the tag. I have uploaded a pic.

Thanks.

Roberta 12-26-2021 05:45 PM

First, welcome!

It's a hybrid, so getting a positive ID on the basis of appearance is going to be unlikely. Since it got a ribbon, there probably is a record of it. Perhaps an email to the Atlanta Orchid Society might get you to someone who has those records since it is recent.

Leafmite 12-26-2021 05:47 PM

That is pretty!

TZ-Someplace 12-26-2021 06:11 PM

Try Sunset Valley Orchids compact cattleyas. The half-red lip looks like Tokyo Magic or Izumi Charm recessive yellow breeding from Fred Clarke. Seedlings from those crosses often range from yellows to oranges within a batch. Look at the cross for Pot. Marcia Del.

Shadeflower 12-26-2021 06:16 PM

yep that is most definetely a sophronitis offspring.

He has brought out far too many recent crosses to tell which one it is.

Roberta 12-26-2021 06:24 PM

Here is the show contact information... the contact person certainly knows who has the ribbon judging records, likely can help you track it down
The American Orchid Society - Atlanta Orchid Society Show and Sale.

In most shows, plants are entered for ribbon judging by category, then teams judge flowers within each category. Not just about hanging ribbons on plants, there are lists. (It's less formal than AOS judging, the winners are selected in comparison with others in the category - as opposed to AOS judging where the flower is compared to a set of standards and prior awards. Comes down to what the judging teams like. )

estación seca 12-27-2021 04:21 AM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

KrazyK1224 12-27-2021 05:45 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I reached out to the POC for the Atlanta show and he stated that it might be Potinara SkyScape 'No. 83'

Roberta 12-27-2021 05:59 PM

Great! Looked it up, actually Pot. (Rlc.) Sky Scape (if you look it up without the space you won't find the registration)

The two most dominant species in a very complex hybrid are C, briegeri and C, dowiana (accounting for about half of it) The rest is a mixture. (Sophronitis coccinea is only 1.2% ... so teensy, far back in its ancestry)

SouthPark 12-27-2021 06:11 PM

Nice. Since there is a Rlc. Sky Scape, then pretty sure that a Land Scape will follow later.