Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Another psudobulb question (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/108238-psudobulb-question.html)

RoseSD 11-10-2021 11:34 AM

Another psudobulb question

3 Attachment(s)
New member here, nice to meet you all.
I may have repoted this zygopentudlum incorrectly as having mistaken the large psudobulb as the oldest and put it against the edge of the pot. No new roots are growing and flowers are in. Should I repot again?
In the third photo the middle new leaf is spotted. Is it diseases or normal? I know dark spots are common in this hybrid.
Thank you!

Roberta 11-10-2021 11:44 AM

I don't think the leaf spotting is an issue... Zygos tend to get ugly leaves. Fungal spores are everywhere in the environment, and thin-leaved orchids are especially vulnerable, just a bit unaesthetic.
Don't rush to repot again. Wait for new growth. In an ideal world, the new pseudobulbs will be bigger than the old ones. (If the pattern reverses and they start to get smaller, that's when one needs to be concerned that the plant isn't thriving) But let it do its thing for awhile... orchids don't do anything fast.

RoseSD 11-10-2021 12:35 PM

Thanks.
I am in southern CA also. May I ask how much sun you let your cymbidium orchids expose to?
For this zygo you don't think it needs more room where it is against the edge to grow new psudobulb?

Roberta 11-10-2021 01:48 PM

My Cyms get almost full sun. I do have light shade cloth, about 40%, over the area because in summer my yard toasts from half after sunrise to half an hour before sunset and it's just too harsh for them. If there are trees and they get a little shade at mid-day, that's all they need. Ideal leaf color is lime green... if they go toward dark green they may be reluctant to bloom. The other 'trick" for Cyms is to give them some time-release fertilizer in the spring (Osmocote, Nutricote, Dynamite, etc) -they are heavy feeders and they love that extra fertilizer over and above what you might give them in the normal course of fertilizing.

As far as your Zygo is concerned, if the new growth needs to escape from the pot, it will... and if it goes over the edge, a sign it wants repotting. I have found that most of my orchids that escape the pot are quite happy to do so. So no worries there... if it starts climbing out of the pot, then go ahead and repot.

claypot 11-10-2021 02:39 PM

Your plant is a ZYGOPETALUM not your fictitious "zygopentudlum" which you have called it. Spotting on leaves is quite normal for those plants. You will find much information about the plants on the 'net.

WaterWitchin 11-10-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claypot (Post 972604)
Your plant is a ZYGOPETALUM not your fictitious "zygopentudlum" which you have called it. Spotting on leaves is quite normal for those plants. You will find much information about the plants on the 'net.

Rather rude way to correct someone's spelling Claypot. :roll:

RoseSD 11-10-2021 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 972618)
Rather rude way to correct someone's spelling Claypot. :roll:

NO worries. I find his concern funny. In fact I think my made up world sounds and looks better 🤣🤣🤣.

RoseSD 11-10-2021 10:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 972600)
My Cyms get almost full sun. I do have light shade cloth, about 40%, over the area because in summer my yard toasts from half after sunrise to half an hour before sunset and it's just too harsh for them. If there are trees and they get a little shade at mid-day, that's all they need. Ideal leaf color is lime green... if they go toward dark green they may be reluctant to bloom. The other 'trick" for Cyms is to give them some time-release fertilizer in the spring (Osmocote, Nutricote, Dynamite, etc) -they are heavy feeders and they love that extra fertilizer over and above what you might give them in the normal course of fertilizing.

As far as your Zygo is concerned, if the new growth needs to escape from the pot, it will... and if it goes over the edge, a sign it wants repotting. I have found that most of my orchids that escape the pot are quite happy to do so. So no worries there... if it starts climbing out of the pot, then go ahead and repot.

I need advice on growing Cyms too. My first one got busted buds (yellow in pic 2) that was so tragic to me, so I got three more with buds but they really, really need repotting (busting out by breaking the pot any day now). How do I minimize the risk of buds death of the new ones?

How often do you water yours Cyms? Thanks!!

WaterWitchin 11-11-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoseSD (Post 972627)
I need advice on growing Cyms too. My first one got busted buds (yellow in pic 2) that was so tragic to me, so I got three more with buds but they really, really need repotting (busting out by breaking the pot any day now). How do I minimize the risk of buds death of the new ones?

How often do you water yours Cyms? Thanks!!

What do you mean "busted" buds? Does that mean you snapped off the end of the spike accidentally? It happens. Or the buds "blasted," which means they didn't completely open or open at all. That's either a change in environment while in bud (moved inside for example) or you aren't watering enough. Can't tell from the pictures.

I wouldn't repot while in spike or bloom. It will be fine potted as is until they finish blooming, regardless of whether the pot bursts or not. If necessary, put inside a larger heavy pot or one with rocks in bottom to keep it from tipping over.

Better to wait and repot in spring when new growth starts. Then unpot, take outside and spray with a high pressure hose to get off what debris you might see, and repot into larger pot. They're a very tough plant with VERY tough roots.

How to water cymbs? From spring to late fall, frequently and a lot of water. They're hard to overwater. In winter, back off a little on watering, but still at least once a week. Easiest way to fertilize cymbs is with a slow release fertilizer.

Nice yellow color on the blooms!

RoseSD 11-11-2021 03:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 972662)
What do you mean "busted" buds? Does that mean you snapped off the end of the spike accidentally? It happens. Or the buds "blasted," which means they didn't completely open or open at all. That's either a change in environment while in bud (moved inside for example) or you aren't watering enough. Can't tell from the pictures.

I wouldn't repot while in spike or bloom. It will be fine potted as is until they finish blooming, regardless of whether the pot bursts or not. If necessary, put inside a larger heavy pot or one with rocks in bottom to keep it from tipping over.

Better to wait and repot in spring when new growth starts. Then unpot, take outside and spray with a high pressure hose to get off what debris you might see, and repot into larger pot. They're a very tough plant with VERY tough roots.

How to water cymbs? From spring to late fall, frequently and a lot of water. They're hard to overwater. In winter, back off a little on watering, but still at least once a week. Easiest way to fertilize cymbs is with a slow release fertilizer.

Nice yellow color on the blooms!

You are RIGHT! BLASTED yellow buds, not busted....
Is this the set up you recommended despite the stem looking like a preggo ready to pop a baby out?