Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing Under Lights (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-under-lights/)
-   -   Time change (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-under-lights/108221-time-change.html)

Dusty Ol' Man 11-07-2021 07:06 AM

Time change

This is just a curiosity question. When you are growing indoors or with lights, do you adjust your timer to reflect the clock? Daylight savings time and all?

Ray 11-07-2021 07:18 AM

While it is unnecessary - plants can’t tell time, caring more about duration - because the lighted plants are in my office/guest room, I do so for my convenience.

Mountaineer370 11-07-2021 08:09 AM

I change them. Ray is right about the fact that the plants don't care what time we humans say it is, they're only concerned with the length of the lighting period. Still, my plants are in my master bedroom and in my kitchen/dining room, and I want the lights to conform with how I structure my days.

WaterWitchin 11-07-2021 09:32 AM

Yes, for my needs. My husband goes out mornings in the dark to feed horses. There's enough light coming from the orchid space he doesn't need a flashlight. So even wiith ten LED strips going, it feels like we're conserving energy. :biggrin:

Also, we don't have any clocks upstairs and I never wear a watch. If the lights aren't on, I know it's too early to get up. I set mine for a twelve hour light period. So in the summer months they get more than twelve hours (windows) and winter maximum of twelve. Does it matter? Not a clue from a scientific or botanical standpoint, but it "feels" right.

Roberta 11-07-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 972341)
I set mine for a twelve hour light period. So in the summer months they get more than twelve hours (windows) and winter maximum of twelve. Does it matter? Not a clue from a scientific or botanical standpoint, but it "feels" right.

They bloom, so clearly that's "right"! (That is why we do this, mostly... :biggrin:)

estación seca 11-07-2021 02:42 PM

My plants always forgot to change the clock, so I moved to a State that doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time.

Roberta 11-07-2021 02:47 PM

That's one approach... (Given a choice, Hawaii looks good too!) I figure that the plants don't care what time it is, so I just leave timers alone (the ones for the lamps that make my house look lived in, also.) As long as they match the sun, I'm not looking at the dial.

WaterWitchin 11-07-2021 05:15 PM

Yeah, blooms are the main goal here. If they bloom, it’s good enough culture for me!

Dusty Ol' Man 11-08-2021 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 972373)
My plants always forgot to change the clock, so I moved to a State that doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time.

I knew that you would chime in with this exact answer. :rofl:
Thanks to all who gave an answer. Since my plants are in a spare bedroom, except for the D. Aphyllum and the ones that don't require artificial light, I'll just leave it alone. Any farmer will tell you daylight savings is just another lie perpetrated by the government.