Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   Autumn and Vandas (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/108104-autumn-vandas.html)

KikaMaggie 10-22-2021 03:38 PM

Autumn and Vandas

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

Hope you are all fine.

This is the first year I’m growing my Vandas outside, and all of them are with small spikes at this point. As the autumn is getting a little more cold, about 10-14C, I’m concerned about the plants not developing the spikes. The only one with flowers is already in the window.
Should I put them inside?
Thank you very much.

JungleJo 10-22-2021 07:28 PM

10 degrees sounds very dangerous, even 14 is low.

I keep mine outside 24/7/365 but it rarely goes under 15 here during winter and when it does it is during the night and when it is dry. Sometimes I get a little bit worried though. I would be scared by 10 degrees C - palm tree vanda?!

KikaMaggie 10-23-2021 05:01 PM

Autumn and Vandas

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you very much for your information.
Well, they are still outside.
They are doing well in yet. Not Pam trees.
See the pics.
Thanks

Roberta 10-23-2021 05:27 PM

These look like hybrid Vandas, which probably need to be brought inside, since they like to be on the warm side. There are cold-tolerant Vandas but unless you know that these have those species in their background, probably wise to warm them up...

KikaMaggie 10-24-2021 04:21 AM

Thank you very much Roberta and JungleJo.
I will follow your advice and tonight aí will bring them inside.
Actually I know nothing about their background, I have bought them online in the begging of COVID quarantine and they came fully bloomed and without names, what I really don’t care too much about.
By the way, I have read somewhere here in the board about a light green zone in the new vanda’s leaf related to fertilising, I don’t have this in mine, should I enhance it?
Thank you again.
Have a nice day.

Roberta 10-24-2021 10:45 AM

I don't know if the light green zone is a problem, but Vandas DO need more fertilizer than most orchids.

How are you managing watering? Ideal is a small amount of fertilizer with each watering. Will that work with your procedure? If not than it's a factor to think about.

estación seca 10-24-2021 11:01 AM

Martin Motes of Motes Orchids writes that bew, emerging Vanda leaves should have a light green zone at the base a centimeter wide. If it isn't a centimeter wide, fertilize more. If it's wider, fertilize less. Motes has a new edition of his book coming out. I don't work for them, but I am buying the book.

SADE2020 10-24-2021 12:32 PM

Very beautiful though! Hope the others bloom well

KikaMaggie 10-24-2021 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you very much for your replies.
They are all indoors now.
I’ve been feeding them with rainmix 1g/2l every 2 weeks, not so regularly as I should, and in the last month I’ve bought online a fertilizer Monster Bloom- and I confess that the name was the reason of this purchase. I’ve been told in this forum that Monster Bloom is not necessary, that rainmix is enough. The truth is that I’ve noticed a big difference in almost all my few plants.Maybe they were not being feed enough.
When outside I water them with a hose, every 2 or 3 days, when they are almost dry. Inside it will be more complicated, not sure in yet if I’m going to move them every time or if I will use a manual pulveriser.
Thank you very much again.
I hope they bloom well, if so I will show here the pictures.
Happy week for everyone.

Roberta 10-24-2021 04:25 PM

Looks good! Will they have enough light? You may want to consider some supplemental light - especially as days grow shorter. Doesn't have to be fancy... if you have some natural light, then ordinary fluorescent or LED lights will be fine, no need for special grow lights. The Phalaenopsis will need much less light intensity than the Vandas - you can position it accordingly, but it will still benefit from additional hours of light (at lower intensity) .