Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/)
-   -   Gongora first time (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/107946-gongora-time.html)

piping plover 09-30-2021 10:14 PM

Gongora first time

1 Attachment(s)
I just received my first gongora. I would only say this around orchid people as it sounds like an affliction. It’s a Gongora fulva from ecuagenera. Really pleased with this plant they sent and for such a reasonable price. Photo below.

After getting a stanhopea a few months ago I decided to try this as well. Wasn’t sure I’d be successful with these growing indoors in New England but since my cattleyas and vanda do reliably bloom each year I think it’s worth a try.

Anyone know if this appears to be blooming size? Also, is minimum temperature of 60 degrees F okay for these? I’ve been reading about warm and cool types. My sunroom goes no lower than 60 in winter.

isurus79 10-01-2021 03:46 PM

Temperature should be fine. I bet it blooms on the next new growths if the plant is happy.

piping plover 10-01-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 969748)
Temperature should be fine. I bet it blooms on the next new growths if the plant is happy.

Thanks Isurus. And good to know it’s close to blooming size.

DeaC 10-02-2021 10:55 AM

Good 4 U. I've had lousy luck with a galeata and a gratulabunda is thumbing its nose at me as we speak. But plants were never this big either. Galeata did bloom once tho. Think it's a temp issue. Send pic when you can!

piping plover 10-02-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaC (Post 969810)
Good 4 U. I've had lousy luck with a galeata and a gratulabunda is thumbing its nose at me as we speak. But plants were never this big either. Galeata did bloom once tho. Think it's a temp issue. Send pic when you can!

Thanks DeaC. I looked up those two species, the galeata is especially beautiful. The lead on this one rotted in shipment and the last growth looks like it will yellow and decline. Sprayed roots with copper fungicide. Hopefully acclimates soon.

piping plover 10-28-2021 07:07 PM

I’m assuming this is not a bloom spike

1 Attachment(s)
This should have been posted under stanhopea.

isurus79 10-28-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piping plover (Post 971541)
This should have been posted under stanhopea.

Correct, that's a new growth

piping plover 10-28-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 971550)
Correct, that's a new growth

Thanks isurus! Do they usually start growing in winter months? I thought they might be needing a rest period about now.

isurus79 10-28-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piping plover (Post 971551)
Thanks isurus! Do they usually start growing in winter months? I thought they might be needing a rest period about now.

I've had them grow just about any time of year, with most growths in spring/summer and a few stragglers in winter. The late season growths didn't usually get as big as the warm season ones.

piping plover 10-28-2021 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 971554)
I've had them grow just about any time of year, with most growths in spring/summer and a few stragglers in winter. The late season growths didn't usually get as big as the warm season ones.

Thanks again isurus. Since this shipped from South America it’s probably flip flopped in it’s seasons anyhow.