Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   OT-T: algae-based technology (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/107909-ot-algae-based-technology.html)

wisdomseeker 09-27-2021 06:29 PM

OT-T: algae-based technology

A strain of microalgae, Pseudochilorella pringsheimii, showing some promise within the arena of wastewater treatment.

A short read that may be of interest to others
Algae-based sustainable approach for simultaneous removal of micropollutants, and bacteria from urban wastewater and its real-time reuse for aquaculture - ScienceDirect

Ray 09-28-2021 08:01 AM

Very cool! In a very abstract way, it’s controlled eutrophication.

wisdomseeker 09-28-2021 11:59 AM

Exactly.

Kind of like a double-edged sword, per se. The controlled use of microalgae could be used as a valuable tool in water pollution control, helping to prevent the negative effects of eutrophication downstream.

Most people know about the problems connected with eutrophication (it's impacts, and finding effective solutions to address the problems). Those problems can get 'real gnarly', in a very quick hurry.

Of course, an abundance of nutrients in an aquatic ecosystem (especially nitrogen & phosphorus) will function as fertilizer for *macroalgae* and other plants. But, if things get out of balance with excessive nutrient loading, it doesn't take much for an algae bloom. Then, deoxygenation... then, a loss of fauna and flora... then, a lose-lose situation all the way around.

With the common forms of wastewater treatment processes (chemical and biological), sludge is produced as a byproduct ~ accomplishing the goal of removing nitrogen and phosphorus from the water without causing eutrophication downstream. Microalgae can perform in a similar way, also having the potential (especially if cultivated in high rate algae ponds) to remove nutrients & heavy metals.

Microalgae has the ability to be a cost-effective treatment, that can also be extracted from the water and used for bio-fuel. Factors and parameters that can contribute to microalgae biomass (extracted and used for fuel) include: algal species, lipid production, light, ph, nutrient availability, and the proper design/implementation of HRAP's (high rate algae ponds). Good to see new ideas in these regards, along with thinking outside of the conventional box.

wisdomseeker 11-30-2021 12:11 PM

"Forever chemicals" in drinking water

For what it's worth... water professionals still continue to do their best with eliminating water pollutants from drinking water.

PFAS Strategic Roadmap: EPA's Commitments to Action 2021-2024 | US EPA

Ray 11-30-2021 04:40 PM

So - for now - I have started carrying Inocucor Garden Solution again. (If they can’t get it to me intact, without spillage, I won’t bother.)

The company that now markets it, AlgaEnergy, is a big producer of microalgae nutrients. They sent me a sample of their Surety MA product, a microalgae-sourced fertilizer. It’s a 1.5-0.2-0.5 formula, with half the nitrogen being nitrate and half urea. I’m not certain what I’ll do with it at this point.