Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Unopened flower drop (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/107890-unopened-flower-drop.html)

Merita 09-25-2021 06:49 PM

Unopened flower drop

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!

I am very disappointed, my flowers are dying unopened, out of 3 sometimes 2 die, out of 2 one falls and that is in all plants, what could it be? I have high temperatures and sometimes the sun hits them a bit. I need tips.

rbarata 09-25-2021 08:02 PM

What are your environmental conditions? Temp? RH? Etc...

Merita 09-25-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 969149)
What are your environmental conditions? Temp? RH? Etc...

My temperature is between 82 and 91 F * and it begins to decrease a little, this is Florida with periods of rain and humidity at night, each year warmer.

rbarata 09-26-2021 08:47 AM

Do you know the plant's names? Are they new plants?

Merita 09-26-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 969171)
Do you know the plant's names? Are they new plants?

There are many who are losing buds, other years they have flowered normal, I think of the heat or the thrips insects. One photo came out double, that one had 7 buds and only 3 have remained, the photo that did not appear was 4 buds and it remained 1, none so far is blooming as before and the buds die almost when opening in many. They are in their second and third blooms more or less.

Shadeflower 09-26-2021 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merita (Post 969173)
I think of the heat or the thrips insects.

That sounds most likely. It is either too little watering at times, or maybe too much heat but thrips will certainy stress a plant to less than it's full potential.

I hope you can manage the thrips, it's what I have been working on this past month and you have to keep treating the plants with thrips, they are the most resilient out of all pests I have encountered by now.

Like Mr motes says, if you can control/eliminate thrips in your collection you will automatically control all other pests.

rbarata 09-26-2021 09:46 AM

Why did mentioned thrips? Any evidence of their existence in your plants?

Merita 09-26-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadeflower (Post 969174)
That sounds most likely. It is either too little watering at times, or maybe too much heat but thrips will certainy stress a plant to less than it's full potential.

I hope you can manage the thrips, it's what I have been working on this past month and you have to keep treating the plants with thrips, they are the most resilient out of all pests I have encountered by now.

Like Mr motes says, if you can control/eliminate thrips in your collection you will automatically control all other pests.

Well, they are surely because the palms from which the plants hang, they all flourished. This plague has me sick, I spray with Orthene but I suffer from allergies and sometimes I lose the cycle for fear of getting sicker. Would Imidacloprid be good?

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarata (Post 969176)
Why did mentioned thrips? Any evidence of their existence in your plants?

Yes, they have been my headache for two years, I control them for a while and they come back, I also see some light green insects that are bigger than thrips and run a lot.

Dusty Ol' Man 09-26-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merita (Post 969177)
Yes, they have been my headache for two years, I control them for a while and they come back, I also see some light green insects that are bigger than thrips and run a lot.

I'm going to offer this and wait for the gasping sounds.
I have been using malethion for pest control for 40 yrs. It just works. And in the recommended dilution is harmless to mammals. I'm not the only one to recommend this. Here is a website I found where the author also recommends malethion
Orchid Diseases Overview | Orchid Plant Care

https://i.postimg.cc/gc3tNpgj/Screen...427-Chrome.jpg

rbarata 09-26-2021 10:50 AM

I never had any thrip issue so my advise might not be the best. I have the felling this pest is like mites: you can't get rid of them but you can control their population number.