Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   Was gifted this Vanda - not much roots (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/107846-gifted-vanda-roots.html)

Raimisx9 09-21-2021 03:03 PM

Was gifted this Vanda - not much roots

4 Attachment(s)
Hello! Hope you all are doing great and staying safe and healthy!
I was gifter this Vanda from a friend and it has three spikes coming but the bad thing is that she has pretty small amount of roots. There are a few roots coming like branchings and one thick root coming from the main stem. Will this plant be okey? Also I ordered some Kelpak (EU version of KelpMax) to give it a little boost. What else could you guys recomend?
Thank You in advance!

estación seca 09-21-2021 03:14 PM

It looks good. Use the Kelpak once a month at the concentration on the label. Water Vandas at least once a day - completely soak the roots so they turn dark green.

Raimisx9 09-21-2021 03:31 PM

Thank You so much! You think the roots are enough to sustain thia plant? My biggest fears are lossing it because when my friend showed me the photos of blooms I imediatelly fell in love!

estación seca 09-21-2021 03:46 PM

Yes, plenty of roots if you water enough.

Raimisx9 09-21-2021 03:54 PM

Thanks so much! You really calmed me down! Also KelPak will help with the new roots I think?

DeaC 09-22-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raimisx9 (Post 968744)
Thanks so much! You really calmed me down! Also KelPak will help with the new roots I think?

:hello I have found KelpMax to be a superior product after using it for about 1 year. My small growing space houses 7 Vandas but enough water and KelpMax have encouraged many roots. Send us photos of blooms when you can.

Raimisx9 09-22-2021 11:13 AM

Very nice to hear! Will update with flower pictures! :)

camille1585 09-23-2021 01:42 AM

There is no dosage for orchids indicated on the label of Kelpak. Use 4ml/liter, and you can let the roots soak in it for a couple of hours.

When I started using it last year, I started seeing tons of new root growth about 3-5 weeks after first application, depending on the orchids.

Shadeflower 09-23-2021 01:54 AM

Word of warning 4 ml/l is very strong.

I will not speculate but a seedling died after using 4ml/l

It is such a strong dose that one can only use it once a month.

If one waters a mounted orchid every day, only being able to feed it once a month makes little sense to me but kelpmax is ridiculously strong (take a whiff)

so to use it more reguarly it needs to be diluted at least 30x times but I like to dilute it even further. So I go 100x diluted.

I would say anything bwtwen 50-100 times weaker than the recommended dose is a good dose and I am converted on the stuff after using so little.

The first thing I always do with any fertilizer is work out the safe amount my orchids respond to well and that is 50 times less than the recommended dose - but at every watering, not just once a month. This should be roughly 1 small drop per liter

If it helps, that can also be done. It does not need to be all in one go.

estación seca 09-23-2021 02:14 AM

You're only supposed to use the kelp once a month.