Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   is this light good for phal? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/107648-light-phal.html)

tedro 08-31-2021 05:26 PM

is this light good for phal?

:waving
:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing
is this light good/great for a phaleanopsis?

Amazon.com

if you click “See more product details” you can see the specs.
thank you!
:waving
:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing

K-Sci 08-31-2021 10:43 PM

The answer depends on what you want to grow, the size of the area you want to illuminate, the presence or absence of other light sources, such as a window, and the distance you would like to maintain between the plant and the light.

The product you point to is not specified in a way that allows for an easy assessment of the spectral output. Additionally, there is no information at all about the wavelengths outside the PAR range that play a role in plant health. A key specification is missing - a plot for wavelength vs. output intensity for the product. Instead, they specify the efficiency of the product at converting electric power to plant-usable photons over the PAR range.

Cutting to the chase, the power input for this light is just 30 watts, so this is not a very powerful light. This brings us back to the question "what do you want to grow?" Which Phalaenopsis, how many, etc. Is there a window anywhere?

-Keith

tedro 09-01-2021 12:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Sci (Post 966299)
The answer depends on what you want to grow, the size of the area you want to illuminate, the presence or absence of other light sources, such as a window, and the distance you would like to maintain between the plant and the light.

The product you point to is not specified in a way that allows for an easy assessment of the spectral output. Additionally, there is no information at all about the wavelengths outside the PAR range that play a role in plant health. A key specification is missing - a plot for wavelength vs. output intensity for the product. Instead, they specify the efficiency of the product at converting electric power to plant-usable photons over the PAR range.

Cutting to the chase, the power input for this light is just 30 watts, so this is not a very powerful light. This brings us back to the question "what do you want to grow?" Which Phalaenopsis, how many, etc. Is there a window anywhere?

-Keith

:bowing:bowing:bowing:waving

1moth phaleanopsis. some indirect daylight on the inside floor by the wall next to the glass lanai door. one which is rarely opened. a small lanai with ample roof , and the phal/door is … dark end.
so, i think it’s mostly the light.

btw, that lights description says 700 lum.
i have an app or on my phone that registers light at the leaf at higher than that or lower depending on where I move the light. I’m not sure how much faith I put in there 700 number.
For example for the last two years I use this bulb:

I would put it 4-6-8 inches… no heat output.
I noticed when I got this new life a few weeks ago, the new light looks more white or maybe you’d call it pinkish the old one in the bulb shown in the picture I think was a little bit more yellow or at least the new light made it look that way I never thought it was that way before. I just think the new one looks maybe more white pinkis very slightly.

:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing:waving

estación seca 09-01-2021 12:32 AM

Phone light meter apps are not reliable unless the software was written for the exact light receptor in your exact model of phone.

There should be enough natural light for a Phal by that window unless you live far north.

tedro 09-01-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 966311)
Phone light meter apps are not reliable unless the software was written for the exact light receptor in your exact model of phone.

There should be enough natural light for a Phal by that window unless you live far north.

:waving:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing

it’s not as close anymore to the glass, and its more by the wall by where the door is. plus, i had to put a shader up across the front long screen side.

thanks. i was kinda mostly wondering about this light.
i mean my old one says 1600lumens at 15watts.
the old worked GREAT, at least by my results. :biggrin:
so with the darker change, i wanted a “better” looking one, too. the old is this bulb sticking out of a desk lamp!
:D
:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing:waving

Shadeflower 09-01-2021 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just popping in quickly since I've been trying out lots of different lights recently.

I know I've been touting one bulb especially because it works so well but so far all I have given is my word so I have taken a picture of one of my 9 watt bulbs.
I use 5 watts for my phals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Sci
the power input for this light is just 30 watts, so this is not a very powerful light

30 watts in led is very powerful these days. They aren't like your old incanecent where 30 watts would have been hard to read with. 30 Watts with the most efficient LED's can light up an 80 x 60 cm area. Or light up about 80 small orchids.

Tedro only has one phal.

So to me the light looks ok, certainly not top of the range, if you read the 1 star reviews I wouldn't touch that light with a barge pole.

The light you can see on the picture I will show is 9 watts

Amazon.com

It gives good results

PS: the main reason the lights gets negative reviews is because it is not waterproof so it would be like sticking a tv in an auarium which I would not recommend. If you don't use it in an awuarium it works fine even in 80%+ humidity but in an aquarium it will rust and break in no time - just worth noting.

So just to confirm for 1 phal I would recommend the 5 watt light.

If you get stronger it just uses more electricity. Once you start getting more plants and start heating them it all adds up so it's worth trying to grow using the least amount of electricity if you can

WaterWitchin 09-01-2021 10:25 AM

Tedro, your first choice would be fine for MrProlific. Shadeflower's light shown would also be fine. I think any cool looking light fixture or lamp you wanted to put MrProlific under would work well. Choose something LED, because it's more cost effective.

I have one similar to this by my desk that's a clamp on style to shed a little more light on some plants. Amazon.com

Were it me, I'd just get a cool looking LED something that would contrast nicely with MrProlific. He likes his aesthetics. :waving :biggrin:

tedro 09-05-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadeflower (Post 966324)
Just popping in quickly since I've been trying out lots of different lights recently.

I know I've been touting one bulb especially because it works so well but so far all I have given is my word so I have taken a picture of one of my 9 watt bulbs.
I use 5 watts for my phals.

30 watts in led is very powerful these days. They aren't like your old incanecent where 30 watts would have been hard to read with. 30 Watts with the most efficient LED's can light up an 80 x 60 cm area. Or light up about 80 small orchids.

Tedro only has one phal.

So to me the light looks ok, certainly not top of the range, if you read the 1 star reviews I wouldn't touch that light with a barge pole.

The light you can see on the picture I will show is 9 watts

Amazon.com

It gives good results

PS: the main reason the lights gets negative reviews is because it is not waterproof so it would be like sticking a tv in an auarium which I would not recommend. If you don't use it in an awuarium it works fine even in 80%+ humidity but in an aquarium it will rust and break in no time - just worth noting.

So just to confirm for 1 phal I would recommend the 5 watt light.

If you get stronger it just uses more electricity. Once you start getting more plants and start heating them it all adds up so it's worth trying to grow using the least amount of electricity if you can

:waving:bowing:bowing:bowing
thank you, Shadeflower.
i like that bulb, will look into it!

really the only “thing” i have with my original (led) bulb is the hood, bulb sticks out — works fine, looks bad to me. :((

:waving:biggrin:
bowing:bowing:bowing

tedro 09-05-2021 03:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 966341)
Tedro, your first choice would be fine for MrProlific. Shadeflower's light shown would also be fine. I think any cool looking light fixture or lamp you wanted to put MrProlific under would work well. Choose something LED, because it's more cost effective.

I have one similar to this by my desk that's a clamp on style to shed a little more light on some plants. Amazon.com

Were it me, I'd just get a cool looking LED something that would contrast nicely with MrProlific. He likes his aesthetics. :waving :biggrin:

:waving:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing
exactly, WaterWitchin, :) the “fixture.” but i’m doing “ok” now.;)

i think it’s colder in here than ever, oh well.
(lots of “red” in leaves this time.)

btw, i think phal made a spike while i wasn’t looking… she’s so much … independent now! :D
maybe it’s a root? i thought each spike (seasonal) spike would appear on opposite side?

ps. i’m pretty sure the algae is growing! someone suggested the fert might kill it … i’m using double strength (for phal), algae apparently loves it. :evil::((
—i made lots of extra holes in new pot. :biggrin:

:waving:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing

WaterWitchin 09-06-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedro (Post 966716)
i think it’s colder in here than ever, oh well.
(lots of “red” in leaves this time.)

Well, it's older now than it was two years ago. Some of the hybrids that have a lot of red in their background tend to get more reddish leaves when the light is right. That coloration of the leaves has more to do with light than cold.

Quote:

i think phal made a spike while i wasn’t looking… she’s so much … independent now! :D
maybe it’s a root? i thought each spike (seasonal) spike would appear on opposite side?

Kind of looks more like an aerial root to me, but not close up enough to tell for sure. Roots have a roundish tip. Spikes, if you look at the tip closely, look more like a little mitten.

Quote:

ps. i’m pretty sure the algae is growing! someone suggested the fert might kill it … i’m using double strength (for phal), algae apparently loves it.

Algae won't hurt MsProlific. Too much fertilizer can. What kind of fertilizer, and what do you mean "double strength?" Using extra fertilizer on MsProlific isn't a good idea.