Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Potting & Repotting (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/)
-   -   Preplanning a repot of my catesetum (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/potting-and-repotting/107647-preplanning-repot-catesetum.html)

reverseboB 08-31-2021 03:41 PM

Preplanning a repot of my catesetum

3 Attachment(s)
I'm wondering if I should repot this catesetum next spring. This is year 2 in this pot. I forgot the name of this type of planting but it is inorganic at the bottom, bark in the middle and topped with sphagum. I ask because I have room in the pot but I also have roots pointing straight up from the media like cyprus knees. Second question is if I repot can I split it between the two larger non leafing pseudobulbs?

Roberta 08-31-2021 04:06 PM

PET method? Search the Catasetum forum for videos from isurus79. I'd consider it an excellent candidate for repotting... personaly I'd be reluctant to divide, would rather grow a larger plant. Others may have other thoughts on the subject.

Dusty Ol' Man 08-31-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 966276)
PET method? Search the Catasetum forum for videos from isurus79. I'd consider it an excellent candidate for repotting... personaly I'd be reluctant to divide, would rather grow a larger plant. Others may have other thoughts on the subject.

To the OP: isurus79 has posted a video on precisely this subject recently. Here is the link. https://youtu.be/yxHSGIjhea0

reverseboB 09-01-2021 06:55 PM

Thank you both. It is the PET method and I was looking for that video, it is why I used this method in the first place but I wasn't able to find it again. I will watch again, probably several times, and expect to repot this dude in February

camille1585 09-02-2021 01:59 AM

The roots coming straight up out of the pot aren't a sign that the plant needs repotting, but normal behavior for many plants out of this group. I think I had read that they make these hairs as a way to catch debris between them, and the decaying organic matter is a source of nutrients.

Clawhammer 09-02-2021 09:10 AM

The plant looks well positioned to be in that pot for another year. Nice growing!

WaterWitchin 09-02-2021 10:05 AM

Question: So these Ctsm grow in such a soppy wet environment anyway. What are the signs that it "needs" a repot, rather than time in the same pot? Maybe waiting until dormant, then pull it out just to look?

camille1585 09-02-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 966420)
Question: So these Ctsm grow in such a soppy wet environment anyway. What are the signs that it "needs" a repot, rather than time in the same pot? Maybe waiting until dormant, then pull it out just to look?

I'm curious to know as well... I repotted mine into a larger pot just before the current growing season, mainly because last year's bulb was at the edge of the pot and it seemed likely that this year's growth would be squeezed between the mother bulb and the rim of the clay pot. And it was also ridiculously top heavy, to the point that I had to set it in a heavy decorative pot.

Roberta 09-02-2021 11:22 AM

When it doesn't fit in the pot, it needs that repot. Other than that, after a couple of years it probably needs new medium. When I repot, I don't worry about removing old medium. I use sphag for the smaller ones, and when it's dry it is impossible to remove anyway. After it goes dormant, this year's roots are still good, last year's are marginal but aren't hurting anything to leave unless they are taking up too much space, then could be trimmed. The new roots with the new growth are the best, of course. Neat thing about this group... any "insults" (leaf damage, etc) are lost each year, they invent themselves anew.

camille1585 09-02-2021 12:02 PM

Is it wrong then to unpot it every year just to change the medium? I fill the bottom third of the pot with composted horse manure, which is thoroughly depleted and broken down after one year of growth.