Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Mist King Systems (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/107586-mist-king-systems.html)

K-Sci 08-24-2021 09:45 AM

Mist King Systems

Has anyone tried the Mist King misting system. I'm looking for one so I can take vacations again. I need something I can count on to water plants for a couple weeks while traveling. ;)
-Keith

WaterWitchin 08-24-2021 11:08 AM

I absolutely love my Mist King! Have had for probably eight years now, with absolutely no issues. 24/7 use. I got the "starter" one, added extra fittings/tubing.

Last year, I had to replace the timer control part. The roof leaked and it was inundated with water and died. My bad.

Fairorchids 08-24-2021 01:10 PM

If you have your plants outdoors in the summer, you can get a battery powered controller (timer) to hook up a hose with a sprinkler.

I use this for all the plants outdoors. Cost is about $35 for a single hose controller, and $45 for a dual hose controller.

K-Sci 08-24-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairorchids (Post 965626)
If you have your plants outdoors in the summer, you can get a battery powered controller (timer) to hook up a hose with a sprinkler.

I use this for all the plants outdoors. Cost is about $35 for a single hose controller, and $45 for a dual hose controller.

Though in Mississippi,most of my plants are always indoors, but come winter they won't be. The plan is to use the misting system for vacationing around Christmas and New Year. While it is often above 40 at that time of year, it varies widely and the weather reports can't accurately predict the weather two hours into the future, let alone a week.

The misting system might also be used during the winter to keep the humidity up.

-Keith

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 965613)
I absolutely love my Mist King! Have had for probably eight years now, with absolutely no issues. 24/7 use. I got the "starter" one, added extra fittings/tubing.

Last year, I had to replace the timer control part. The roof leaked and it was inundated with water and died. My bad.

I heard about Mist King in the ads on this site. :)
-Keith

WaterWitchin 08-24-2021 03:10 PM

Yeah, Marty, owner of Orchid Board. MistKing is his product.

And yes, it helps up the humidity in winter.

Ray 08-24-2021 05:01 PM

I have one that's currently not in use, that I used in my "incubator/plant ICU in Pennsylvania.

That'll likely change.

K-Sci 08-24-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 965636)
Yeah, Marty, owner of Orchid Board. MistKing is his product.

And yes, it helps up the humidity in winter.

Cool.

I have a 44 gallon reservoir (read plastic trash can) that I keep filled with RO water. I've been looking for something that wouldn't require putting a well pump in the reservoir to get the water pressure necessary to operate misting nozzles. I think you are saying that the MistKing will do the job.
-Keith

WaterWitchin 08-25-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Sci (Post 965655)
Cool.

I have a 44 gallon reservoir (read plastic trash can) that I keep filled with RO water. I've been looking for something that wouldn't require putting a well pump in the reservoir to get the water pressure necessary to operate misting nozzles. I think you are saying that the MistKing will do the job.
-Keith

I water from a 75 gallon reservoir (work tote) that I keep about 10" filled from top. Have a pond pump in the reservoir that I water with, and the MistKing is drilled in about 2" from bottom of tote. Works like a charm.

My biggest problem is setting the digital timer, and I have to keep the instructions nearby. It is much smarter than I can conceive of ever being :rofl: A nice point about the timer... we have power outages from time to time, and it holds the settings until power returns, plus holds the time. Whew! That's a lifesaver for me. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

PS They make quite sophisticated misters for zoos, conservatories, etc. Takes fancy to a whole new level.

K-Sci 08-25-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 965683)
My biggest problem is setting the digital timer, and I have to keep the instructions nearby.

Nothing I hate more than products with what amounts to one button programming.
Nonetheless, a MistKing is on my todo list.

-Keith

K-Sci 08-26-2021 09:19 PM

Is the output a fine mist, or a fine spray like from a squirt bottle?
What is the head pressure?

-Keith