Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Off Topic - Totally (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/)
-   -   Tillandsia Cyanea in Bloom (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/off-topic-totally/107527-tillandsia-cyanea-bloom.html)

Itazura 08-14-2021 10:57 PM

Tillandsia Cyanea in Bloom

2 Attachment(s)
I rescued a tillandsia cyanea from being drowned at Walmart and brought it home. It did nicely for a few months, and then started growing flower buds. At the same time, I had to prepare go to college, and I wanted to take it with me, along with a few plants and other orchids I've grown attached to.

This morning, the day of the move to my dorm, I found the flower bud had finally opened after weeks of waiting. I wish I had had a good camera to capture it with, but I'm glad I got at least a few good pictures on my phone this morning because the move shredded the poor flower. Although online articles I read say the flower doesn't have a scent, I discovered it to have a faint yet wonderfully spicy scent in the morning time.

Let's hope it continues to thrive in my dorm!

DeaC 08-15-2021 12:38 PM

Good luck with your studies. Seems you already have it growing such lovely things!

Itazura 08-19-2021 08:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Two more flowers appeared and opened up recently.

WaterWitchin 08-20-2021 09:24 AM

Very VERY nice Itazura! :bowing:

Now quit taking flower pictures and start studying!! :rofl:

Fuerte Rav 08-22-2021 06:29 PM

Beautiful!

Which of the flower colours is nearest to 'true'?
I always have problems getting blues/purples and reds just right. I take the same pic with my mobile, then with hubbies, and both are way out! :biggrin:

Itazura 08-22-2021 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuerte Rav (Post 965445)
Beautiful!

Which of the flower colours is nearest to 'true'?
I always have problems getting blues/purples and reds just right. I take the same pic with my mobile, then with hubbies, and both are way out! :biggrin:

My apologies, I should have waited for the best light conditions to take the picture, but excitement and my schedule got in the way. I would say the truest color is a nice dark purple (with a few hints of blue). This weekend I took a picture of yet another newly-opened flower when the light was at its best and edited it to make it match the true colors.

And WaterWitchin, there's always time for flower pictures! :)

WaterWitchin 08-23-2021 09:21 AM

That's a spectacular color! And yes, Itazura, I know. It's that reflex momma gets from when hers were in college... appears it still works. :rofl:

Fuerte Rav 11-05-2021 05:53 PM

This post inspired me to buy one a few weeks ago - today I've been rewarded with a bloom, soo happy.

https://i.imgur.com/FuuT0wO.jpg

It's still in the minute little pot it came in - any cultural tips? It's outside in bright shade at the moment. Temps will go down to 12C at night soon (winter), days 20-25C.

estación seca 11-05-2021 06:52 PM

It's been moved from genus Tillandsia to Wallisia.

It's an epiphyte from forests with even temperature, humidity and water all year. This makes it a little more tricky to grow than most house plants.

It likes even warm and humid conditions all year, not too hot and not too cold, without a lot of variation. 15C is probably the minimum for looking good all the time.

Winter central heating with low humidity is a problem.

The roots normally grow attached to a branch in leaf litter. It requires very loose potting medium, but it shouldn't dry out at the roots ever.

wisdomseeker 11-06-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 972205)
It's been moved from genus Tillandsia to Wallisia.

I'm glad I noticed this thread. I definitely learned something new today.

Interesting how botanists look at a species/genus, along with name changes. Reminds me of Vriesea espinosae being transferred to Tillandsia espinosae.