Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Hello From Stormy Baltimore Maryland (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/107521-hello-stormy-baltimore-maryland.html)

Cntry 08-13-2021 07:52 PM

Hello From Stormy Baltimore Maryland

:waving Hello from Baltimore Maryland. It storming here again tonight. I am a senior member here once again. I have been gone for a few years. I was diagnosed with MS just before losing my husband to cancer. I was in a deep dark hole and I couldn't find a way out of it.

Long story short I was in the hospital and then into a rehab facility to learn to cope and learn to walk again after having a hip replacement for a long time.

While in the hospital I was sent a Phal and my son placed it with my other orchids, well it ended up killing all my other orchids I had in my collection. I came home to a dead collection of orchids and my orchid case was not on. My kids never told me as they know it would of upset me. As it would anyone, this cause me to not want to clean up all the orchids I had and the seedlings I was raising from deflasking them all. I wanted nothing to do with anything again for several years.

I ordered some items from Rays website and I am going to do the Semi Hydro set up. I read his articles and I hoping this will be a nice set up for me. I also ordered some seedlings as I am starting from scratch once again. But I am not ordering flasks this time around. The seedlings will be coming in bare root and I hoping I can just put them in semi hydro setup. I know your suppose to wait for new growth to be forming but I am having to start completely over.

estación seca 08-13-2021 08:10 PM

Welcome back! I'm sorry you went through such a sequence of events. I hope your orchids will bring you pleasure.

Ray 08-14-2021 08:08 AM

Indeed, welcome back. Kudos for battling through all of that.

Cntry 08-14-2021 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 964979)
Welcome back! I'm sorry you went through such a sequence of events. I hope your orchids will bring you pleasure.

Thanks You so much. It has been a long rough road but I will be giving it another try.

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 964996)
Indeed, welcome back. Kudos for battling through all of that.

Thank You Ray,
How your weather down in NC compared to Pa growing wise? I have a question for you if you would kindly answer it for me. I have a order of seedlings coming in they will be bare root can they be put in semi hydro right off or should I wait till when Spring comes and they will be showing new growth?

WaterWitchin 08-14-2021 10:18 AM

:welcomeflowers: back Cntry!

My motto is Fall down seven times, get up eight... Keep moving forward!

DeaC 08-14-2021 10:47 AM

You're a strong lady. Not easy to start all over again. I can relate. But sounds like you have a plan for orchid repopulation and successfully growing lovely blooms which I hope to see soon. :waving

Cntry 08-14-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 965000)
:welcomeflowers: back Cntry!

My motto is Fall down seven times, get up eight... Keep moving forward!

:rofl: With this MS I have fallen a few times broke my wrist in three places on that fall but still ended up getting back into the house and calling my daughter and told her "I think I need to go to the hospital." That porch was a mess big puddle of blood. I freak my daughter out as I had crawled back into the house and hit redial to get her. Knocked my self out cold but had no idea how long I was out. What is funny about it is my late hubby was a firefighter emt. Why I didn't call 911 I have no idea. Spent a week in the hospital on that fall and ended up having surgery of the wrist. I keep getting up and keep moving along as best I can. At this point I think I passed the eight times by a few. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaC (Post 965001)
You're a strong lady. Not easy to start all over again. I can relate. But sounds like you have a plan for orchid repopulation and successfully growing lovely blooms which I hope to see soon. :waving

Thank you, I figured get a few seedlings and see if anyone had keki's or some divisions so I could have a few blooming plants before 6 or 7 years. I would love to see the blooms while I am still on this Earth, at 63 ya never know how long you have left. :pray:

Ray 08-14-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cntry (Post 964998)
How your weather down in NC compared to Pa growing wise? I have a question for you if you would kindly answer it for me. I have a order of seedlings coming in they will be bare root can they be put in semi hydro right off or should I wait till when Spring comes and they will be showing new growth?

With no greenhouse, I've had to relearn in-home growing and shift my types of plants a bit. More heat and humidity in summer, much less of both in winter, plus the only windows face north...

Here's a quick video (panning too fast - I'll try to do a better one) taken from a drone 200 ft directly above my house, that'll give an idea of the area.

As to the seedlings, yes, they can be put directly into S/H, assuming they're right for it in your environment, but if they are not actively growing roots, it might be better to wait.

SADE2020 08-14-2021 04:18 PM

Welcome Back!!

And here we do again...with love and orchids!

:welcome:

Cntry 08-15-2021 12:57 PM

Thank You Sade2020,
It is good to be back and see old faces as well as new ones to. Now it just learning all the changes that have gone on since I was gone for a while.