Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Hello from Slovenija (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/107273-hello-slovenija.html)

Shani962 07-11-2021 07:13 PM

Hello from Slovenija

Hello. :waving

I have recently joined this forum and I have a few blooming phals that I wanted to share with you.
Some are new, some are reblooming from old spikes. Most of my phals are Noid-from supermarkets and ikea. But a few weeks ago was my birthday and my boyfriend :blushing: got me some special phals that have id or names.
I tried to find the names and I will attach them to those I found. I would appreciate if you would confirm my findings or tell me I missed my mark with the names. I will add only 3 photos or phals today, because only those are blooming now. But I will keep adding when they are in bloom, because I know its hard to determine the Id just by looking at the leves. Currently I have 7 mini phals, 1 medium and 7 big ones (one of them had stem rot but is growing a keiki).

1. Original id: Multiflora phalaenopsis
My findings: PHALAENOPSIS GLAD HATTER (CURACAO) MULTIFLORA
This one I have since march. It was blooming till now, but when all blooms had fallen down it started reblooming from new branches. The new flowers were more pink-red colour, the original were purple in the middle.

2. Original id: Multiflora phalaenopsis
My findings: Phalaenopsis Lianher Happy Star, mini (or Phalaenopsis Tying Shin Smart)
This one I have since may and a few blooms had already fallen, but it's still beautiful to look at. The flowers are lightly fragranced, especially when on the sun. The scent is like when you enter a flower shop or a bit like orange. I think the proper name is the first one because of the shape of the flower petals.

3. Original id: PHALAENOPSIS PAPAGAYO (PHAL. KING SHIANG'S ROSE X PHAL. KING SHIANG'S STAR)
This one I saw on yt and I was in love with it. And on my birthday I got a package and inside was these beauty. In transport 5 blooms were damaged and had fallen off, but the ones in the picture are here to stay. I only hope the the new blooms in the future will be more yellow and bright/ strong coloured.

I have some problems with uploading photos, so here's the link. Update your browser to use Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Sites, Slides, and Forms - Google Drive Help

estación seca 07-11-2021 09:19 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board! Those are certainly beautiful.

rbarata 07-12-2021 02:59 PM

Welcome to the board, Shani.:)

PHALAENOPSIS GLAD HATTER - Can't find anything with that name.

Phalaenopsis Lianher Happy Star - That's a very complex hybrid of more than 8 species registered in 2012 by Lian Her Orchids from Taiwan.

- I've found this one under a different name: Phalaenopsis King Shiang's Princess, registered in 1994 by King Shiang Orchid Garden, also in Taiwan.

Mountaineer370 07-12-2021 05:53 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

naturalistSean 07-13-2021 05:01 AM

Welcome from one new member to another! As it happens I will be living close to Slovenia in Carinthia Austria soon. Have you found a good source for buying orchids there?

camille1585 07-13-2021 08:17 AM

Welcome to Orchidboard!!
:welcomeflowers:

Those are very nice looking Phals. :)

Many people here would advise caution when trying to ID Noid orchids, especially Phals. There are so many hybrids out there, and often many similar looking ones. Another problem is that many supermarket Phals are created by big commercial breeding operations and many of their hybrids are not registered but are given a trade name instead. Sometimes they give a trade name to a hybrid which already has a registered name...

As an example of the difficulty in accurately identifying Noids, I have a plant (purchased labeled from a nursery) which looks a lot like your Papagayo, and is called Phal Chiada Francis "Picotee" (I-Hsin Sunflower × Taisuco Firebird).....

https://shutterbug.ponzio.net/_data/...296a2b5-xx.jpg

Shani962 07-22-2021 03:41 AM

Hello. Sorry for taking me so long to reply but my do was sick and I had to take care of him.

@rbarata PHALAENOPSIS GLAD HATTER Comanda Orhidee Phalaenopsis Glad Hatter - hibrizi rezistenti si productivi

Well for your suggestion Phalaenopsis King Shiang's Princess I can't find anything resembling the phal no. 2 or for which phal did you mean?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalistSean (Post 962493)
Welcome from one new member to another! As it happens I will be living close to Slovenia in Carinthia Austria soon. Have you found a good source for buying orchids there?

Hi.
Well if you will be in Austria, that a totally another world if you look from point view of orchids stores. Slovenia is in middle Europe but is also close to northern countries and I can get nice prices for eastern countries. Your best buying from germany nurseries-for me a lot of them have 30€ shipping and that's a bit a lot for me. You should try Orchid Wichmann.de or Schwerter Orchideenzucht the have good reviews.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

@camille1585 you say that my Papagayo and your Phal Chiada Francis "Picotee" are a like. But as I understood The are the same just different name-renamed for better selling from picotee to papagayo (its more memorable). When I look at the photos they look the same to me-only mine isnt that yellow (I received the pahl already in full bloom and the yellow colour brightens with age of flowers). Are your flowers constantly that bright yellow or did the camera help you a bit? Also in most nurseries it's named only phal papagayo with no ancestry- so I understood that they just renamed it.

Diane56Victor 07-22-2021 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camille1585 (Post 962502)
As an example of the difficulty in accurately identifying Noids, I have a plant (purchased labeled from a nursery) which looks a lot like your Papagayo, and is called Phal Chiada Francis "Picotee" (I-Hsin Sunflower × Taisuco Firebird).....

https://shutterbug.ponzio.net/_data/...296a2b5-xx.jpg

Thank you for those pictures Shani and Camille! I have a Phal that blooms the same, bought from a local hardware chain. No name to it, not even a trade name.
Time to update my notes with the possible names.

bcnRobert 12-15-2021 12:43 PM

Hi! Nice Papagayo!
Unfortunately 30€ seems like the minimun shipping cost for most of the sellers...maybe you can find someone to share costs with in a orchid association in your country...Also there are some good sellers in northern Italy, if you ever travel there for tourism.
Welcome to the forum!

KikaMaggie 12-15-2021 12:59 PM

Beautiful flowers and photos! Congrats!