Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Catasetum and Stanhopea Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/)
-   -   Catasetum won't come out of dormancy (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/catasetum-and-stanhopea-alliance/107234-catasetum-wont-dormancy.html)

katsucats 07-06-2021 04:42 AM

Catasetum won't come out of dormancy

I bought a Catasetum macroglossum last fall from Ecuagenera. It has 4 large pseudobulbs, but no new growths. It's sitting in a dry pot by a window that gets part shade throughout the day.

Does anyone have any ideas on getting it out of dormancy? Is it dead, or should I wait until next season to see what happens? Should I put it in brighter light?

Which makes me think, out of curiosity, if I divide a couple older pseudobulbs of a Catasetum without any new growths, is there a possibility that it would just never put out any new growths?

SG in CR 07-06-2021 08:24 AM

Looking at the info on, IOSPE PHOTOS
it seems pretty similar to C. maculatum. If so, I'd put it in full sun or as bright as possible and start giving it some water. Here in Costa Rica C. maculatum tends to develop new growth when the rainy season begins.

Clawhammer 07-06-2021 09:55 AM

Could be from the southern hemisphere and confused about what season it is.

Shadeflower 07-06-2021 09:55 AM

I don't have any catasetums but some of my chysis have not produced a new growth for me, Nothing more we can do except wait till next season I think.
It's too late for them now based on the ones that did manage to produce a growth.

Sometimes they say an orchid can flower twice in a year if it is cared for well. What about if it is cared for badly? They might skip a flowering season.

Not sure if that helps or not but I doubt there is much that can be done at this stage if it didn't do what it was supposed to on time.

estación seca 07-06-2021 10:23 AM

Is it leafless?

Roberta 07-06-2021 10:24 AM

"Confused seasons" is very likely. These can stay dormant for a full extra year and next year get into our northern hemisphere pattern. (I have one that did that... it was dormant for 18 months) I would suggest not trying to "force" it out of dormancy. Perhaps a little moisture on the medium to simulate "dew" but no serious watering unless the plant tells you that it is waking up - they grow in anticipation of rain so that's why we wait for well-established growth before watering. (It isn't the water that starts the growth)

isurus79 07-06-2021 01:05 PM

I'd add some water to the media as well and let it dry thoroughly between any future waterings. Do you have photos of the plant and grow space?

katsucats 07-06-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 961970)
I'd add some water to the media as well and let it dry thoroughly between any future waterings. Do you have photos of the plant and grow space?

It's just sitting by the window. When I received it, it had 4 mature pseudobulbs and no actively growing ones (e.g. no leaves). It hasn't changed now. It's sitting bare root in a plastic pot.

Roberta 07-06-2021 03:30 PM

I think you could pot it up in some sphagnum, then water lightly as isurus79 said. It will probably be next year before it does much if it is in "winter dormancy" due to having been in the southern hemisphere. It actually may take more than one year to completely get its seasons straightened out. With 4 mature pseudobulbs, it has plenty of reserves to keep itself going until it is ready to grow. So be patient.

isurus79 07-06-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 961985)
I think you could pot it up in some sphagnum, then water lightly as isurus79 said. It will probably be next year before it does much if it is in "winter dormancy" due to having been in the southern hemisphere. It actually may take more than one year to completely get its seasons straightened out. With 4 mature pseudobulbs, it has plenty of reserves to keep itself going until it is ready to grow. So be patient.

:agree::agree: