Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Suggestions of fall and early winter blooming orchids? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/107221-suggestions-fall-winter-blooming-orchids.html)

camille1585 07-04-2021 06:58 AM

Suggestions of fall and early winter blooming orchids?

After reading and posting in the recent thread about what % of a collection is generally in bloom at any one time, I realized that I have a 'problem'. The bulk of my collection blooms between February and September, and from October to December I have nearly nothing going on.

I know you guys will have plenty of good ideas, so what are your favorite fall to early winter blooming orchids?

My criteria:
*Nothing large (certainly no full sized Cattleya), I would prefer something that stays rather compact, spikes excluded from total height.

*Intermediate temperatures, average house humidity (winter 18-21°C and summer 22-27°C, 30-60% humidity)

SADE2020 07-04-2021 10:29 AM

I want to know that too.

The only things I have blooming from Sept to Dic are Cyms and 4 Catts. And of course the hybrid Phals.
Then, I think the terrarium will be in it best also, but within the tank environment.

rbarata 07-04-2021 11:05 AM

Maybe some zygos.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Look here

SaraJean 07-04-2021 11:59 AM

Habenaria (medusa and rhodocheila tend to bloom October-November), Clowesia, and some of the Latouria Dens like hodgkinsonii and macrophyllum, are some of my best fall and winter bloomers. All my mini Catts with the Sophronitis backgrounds are usually poppin that time of the year too

rbarata 07-04-2021 12:24 PM

Laelia lundii

My Green Pets 07-04-2021 02:39 PM

My late autumn/early winter bloomers are:

Cycd. Wine Delight (october)
Rlc. Jessie Lee (october)
Paph. villosum (november)
Bulbo Lovely Elizabeth (november)
Bulbo medusae (december)
Mo. Jumbo world (january)
Fdk. Desert Davison (january)

Roberta 07-04-2021 05:14 PM

Of course the ones that spring to mind first for me are big things that are not candidates for indoor growing (like Cymbidiums and L. anceps and relatives thereof) But looking back over my records (I do track such things), some ideas.

Mini-Catts are great any time of year because they often will bloom 2 or 3 times a year (including fall),don't take up much space and aren't fussy about light or temperature. Problem outside the US I suspect is availability. (Sunset Valley Orchids needs a branch office...)

Of the Catasetinae, as a group Cycnoches and Mormodes (and hybrids where they are dominant) tend to bloom in the fall. (Where Catasetums tend to bloom earlier)

In the Dendrobium department, look for Den. Hibiki or Den bracteosum (smaller version Den. tanii) that are in bloom most of the time any time of year.

Max variabilis - blooms at various times, including fall . Stenoglottis longifolia is a great terrestrial that puts on a good show in the fall. The hybrid with Stenoglottis fimbriata is even better. (Stenoglottis Venus)

Leafmite 07-04-2021 11:21 PM

Lc. Love Knot and Lc. Mari's Song are two that should bloom in spring and autumn. (I look for hybrids that have one of the following: C. aclandiae, C. walkeriana, L. pumila, L. sincorana as hybrids with these usually stay small, often bloom more than once a year, and are often fragrant).
My current Brassavola nodosa usually starts blooming for me in autumn and continues until February.

Good luck!

camille1585 07-05-2021 03:42 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Mini catts are a great option, though as someone noted, SVO does not have an EU branch office! I'll keep my eye out for any with Sophronitis in their background might fit the bill...

Den Hibiki is a great one, but alas I've already killed 3, and done so quickly that I never saw any of them bloom. So I'm hesitant to try again.

Cycnodes Wine Delight is a great suggestion, and I think it's one that is easily available here. I also like the Laelia lundii suggestion!

Roberta 07-05-2021 11:02 AM

A species to look for, that blooms about that time, is Sophronitis cernua. It likes to a bit warmer than its other Sophronitis cousins, so might be a good candidate. And totally charming. Mine usually blooms November-ish.