Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   Bored (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/107171-bored.html)

Shadeflower 06-28-2021 10:38 PM

Bored

Just me checking out orchid video's on youtube and I came across a video by MissOrchidGirld, big surprise lol but I was shocked to see that for the first time she shows her face.

Ok disclaimer, its a long video with nothing that interesting going on, but I think she shows perfectly what happens when you douse an orchid in 3% Hydrogen peroxide which I have never agreed with. She liberally advocates it all the time and now she shows how quickly it can kill an orchid too. Of course she claims it was black rot, never seen anyone butcher an orchid like she did, I was gasping and laughing at the same time and then poof, 3% HP kills it lol (or black rot)
but yeah I'm sure I'm not the only one who has watched lots of videos from her over the years, disagreed with her use of 3% HP and wondered what she looked like.

Well then here is the link
Saving Orchids from disastrous haul - Have you ever seen an Orchid covered in algae? ? - YouTube

yug 06-29-2021 02:16 AM

I don't remember if it was 'Miss Orchid Girl', but there was a series of orchid how-to videos with some gal that was all me me me me - look how cool I am, etc. I was totally repulsed by the attitude and refused to view any more by that person.

WaterWitchin 06-29-2021 11:06 AM

She used to be a member here on OB when she was first cutting her orchid teeth. Can't remember the user name...

She is a rolling case study in telling others what to do with their plants... until she figures out it doesn't work then moves forward to the next theory. But she appears to be quite successful in marketing herself on YTube. No offense meant to her... just stating the facts as I see them.

camille1585 06-29-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 961231)
She used to be a member here on OB when she was first cutting her orchid teeth. Can't remember the user name...

She went by the same name and wasn't an active member for very long, less than a year. Interesting to note that one thread back then was about soaking plants in undiluted 3% H2O2 to kill bush snails! However, at the time it seemed to be a rather popular remedy in the orchid community...

JScott 06-29-2021 12:27 PM

It unfortunate that she has gained such a devoted following when she herself is often not sure what she is doing, or is just downright incorrect. But as somebody above said, she markets herself well, thus her popularity. On this forum, we are constantly debunking bad advice which she has shared in her videos.

Mr.Fakename 06-29-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 961231)

She is a rolling case study in telling others what to do with their plants... until she figures out it doesn't work then moves forward to the next theory. But she appears to be quite successful in marketing herself on YTube. No offense meant to her... just stating the facts as I see them.

I did (tried to) watch a few of her videos about Catasetum, and she seemed to admit openly when something went wrong, and warned that S/H isn't for everyone.
It doesn't feel like she's telling what to do, at least to me. I get that new growers might not have enough experience to take her advice with a grain of salt though.

The problem I have with her videos is that she never gets to the fricking point and keeps talking about irrelevant stuff. Some smaller channels are a much better source of info.

Kim in CT 06-29-2021 01:22 PM

After my very first orchid (a NOID phal... -- wait, it was my second orchid because I accidentally killed my first one) was finished blooming and I wanted to know how to rebloom it, I remember being very excited to find her videos and I watched a lot of them. It's been two years since then, and now I also find I don't have the patience to listen to the extra blather. Now I come HERE for orchid guidance, with much appreciation!

JScott 06-29-2021 01:27 PM

There are a lot of people here who know quite a lot about a variety of orchids, and our combined knowledge is staggering. This is the place to come for help. It is almost certain that somebody will be ale to help you. A lot of experienced growers, and a lot of combined knowledge.

WaterWitchin 06-29-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JScott (Post 961238)
....On this forum, we are constantly debunking bad advice which she has shared in her videos.

Therein lies my issue... the repetition of debunking over and over again gets tiresome.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Fakename (Post 961239)
...The problem I have with her videos is that she never gets to the fricking point and keeps talking about irrelevant stuff. Some smaller channels are a much better source of info.

I find that a constant issue on YouTube tutorials of just about anything. It's my impatient nature... get on with it! If I wanted to be entertained, I'd pick up a book. Please just spit out what I want to know or show me how to do it quickly. I spend a lot of time fast-forwarding through videos to get to the bottom line. :biggrin:

JScott 06-29-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterWitchin (Post 961251)
Therein lies my issue... the repetition of debunking over and over again gets tiresome.

Oh absolutely! We get so many people on here wondering why their orchids died, and they're like, "I followed Miss Orchid Girl's instructions exactly, so what went wrong?"

What went wrong is that orchid girl gave you bad advice. It is as simple as that. Much of the time, she just doesn't know what she's talking about. She's trying to learn, and I respect that, but until she masters the basics, a YouTube channel about caring for orchids is just not appropriate.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

I wish she was still active here, not so that we can trash talk her, but so she can see the mistakes she is making and learn from them and stop giving bad advice.