Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Florida orchid shows? (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/107106-florida-orchid.html)

sweetas647 06-21-2021 07:35 PM

Florida orchid shows?

Hello!

I am planning a trip to Florida some time in the next year and would like to plan it so that I can hit up an orchid show while I am there.

What are some good orchid shows in Florida that would be good to see?

estación seca 06-21-2021 07:43 PM

They're somewhat tentative as of now. Tamiami is a great show. Bring cash. You pay each vendor rather than at a centralized payment site, and not all take credit cards.

Roberta 06-21-2021 08:08 PM

Redland International Orchid Show - 2022 date has not yet been announced (2021 was cancelled), so keep checking.

Keysguy 06-22-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

You pay each vendor rather than at a centralized payment site, and not all take credit cards
Interesting Seca, I have never seen a centralized payment site at any show I've attended. I would think that would be a nightmare for both the vendors and the show committee.

Last I heard the Tamiami show is changing both date and location. They will now be first weekend of October (vs mid Jan)at Redland Fruit & Spice Park (vs Tamiami Park in greater Miami). Unfortunately I will no longer be able to attend that one due to the date change. Bummer!

My absolute favorite is the Redland show in late May. Hopefully it will be back in 2022.

estación seca 06-22-2021 12:05 PM

Cactus and succulent shows do it. The host club takes a percentage and provides the checkout volunteers. Vendors need to use bar codes provided by the host club on each plant. It doesn't work well, especially not when it's very busy, but there's too much inertia to change..

isurus79 06-22-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keysguy (Post 960605)

Last I heard the Tamiami show is changing both date and location. They will now be first weekend of October (vs mid Jan)at Redland Fruit & Spice Park (vs Tamiami Park in greater Miami). Unfortunately I will no longer be able to attend that one due to the date change. Bummer!

Yep, I bought my airplane tickets for this a few months ago!! Should be great!

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Tamiami International Orchid Festival | Orchid Festival This needs a bit of updating, as you'll see if you click on it.

sweetas647 06-23-2021 09:18 PM

Exciting! I don't know if I can wait until 2022... I may have to make a few trips!

estación seca 06-23-2021 09:21 PM

Orchid shows teach patience.

oregon woodsmoke 06-24-2021 05:29 PM

If you fly to the show, how do you get your purchases home with you?

Roberta 06-24-2021 05:32 PM

Bring an empty suitcase or one with extra room, with some packing materials. Ideally, small enough to go into the overhead (which is still substantial). If you fall in love with something too big to transport that way, the vendor can probably ship it to you. But you can get a LOT into a carry-on-sized suitcase.