Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   New Hybrid orchids (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/107066-hybrid-orchids.html)

SG in CR 06-16-2021 03:14 PM

New Hybrid orchids

3 Attachment(s)
I went to a small Orchid grower who specializes in Cattleya hybrids. Till now I've mostly grown species orchids mounted in trees and some seedlings in pots. So these will be something new for me. Any tips on what they like? I have them under some shade cloth at the moment because that's how they were grown. How do these types of hybrid deal with lots of rain or extended dry periods? Can they be acclimated to full sun?
He listed this as "rlc siam white The best" Which I googled and found Rhyncholaeliocattleya Siam White ‘The Best’ Attachment 152862
This he listed as "blc sally taylor red wine x blc moud hood mery" which I can't really find a close match for online.
Attachment 152863
This he listed as "rlc la guaria" Which I found online too, Rhyncholaeliocattleya 'La Guaria'
Attachment 152864

WaterWitchin 06-16-2021 03:25 PM

You need to look up their parentage to answer those questions.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

PS at the moment the site where you find that sort of thing escapes me. I'll post it when I remember, unless someone else does.

SouthPark 06-16-2021 03:28 PM

Nice! Under shade cloth is a good idea for now.

As for sun-hardening ------ it will just depend on how powerful the sun energy can get at peak times of the year, especially summer time. Lots of catts can handle 'full sun' ------ but it really depends on how strong the energy is that gets into the orchid. And whether the heat can be removed adequately in time.

In my part of the world --- the sun can scorch the leaves of sun-hardened catts ----- and there's always uncertainty about when it can happen, as some years don't get the same extra strong peak levels for certain days of the year.

3rdMaestro 06-16-2021 04:08 PM

I think it should be noted that hybrids "generally" are little easier to grow than species. As mentioned earlier, it's still worth noting what the parentage is. And not sure if this would help, but I've been growing a Blc hybrid for some years. It seems fairly forgiving, but like most cattleya types, don't let it sit in soggy potting media. As long as it can drain, it seems happier with frequent wet/dry cycles rather than having a water retaining mixture that you only need to water once a week

Shadeflower 06-16-2021 04:18 PM

the second one is probably not a recognised cross yet so no name yet.

The parents will be these:
Rhyncholaeliocattleya Sally Taylor
&
Rhyncholaeliocattleya Mount Hood

SG in CR 06-16-2021 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I can probably put them out in a spot where they get a few hours of direct sun in the mornings and open sky the rest of the day during the rainy season where I still get mostly sunny days regularly. And I'll put them back under the shade cloth during the dry season.
They are currently in charcoal/styrofoam based substrate. Once they finish flowering I'm planning on repotting them in wider pots as they are top heavy enough to want to tip over with a bit of wind. I have my own potting method that I've used now for a while that seems to work well. I fill the bottom 80% of the pot with a mix of inert or slow deteriorate coarse media (charcoal, wine corks, coconut shell) then I apply a mix of finer stuff that holds more water to top it off. That way it doesn't dry out too fast but the bottom part is never soggy and gets plenty of air. So far it's been working out OK.

Fairorchids 06-16-2021 06:46 PM

Most Cattleyas can tolerate close to 'full sun', IF:
a. They are in a very well draining (coarse) mix.
b. You water them 3-4 times a day.

Obviously, they do not tolerate extended dry periods (even my Laelia anceps do not like that).

SG in CR 06-16-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairorchids (Post 960228)
Most Cattleyas can tolerate close to 'full sun', IF:
a. They are in a very well draining (coarse) mix.
b. You water them 3-4 times a day.

Obviously, they do not tolerate extended dry periods (even my Laelia anceps do not like that).

I guess it's not that obvious to me. Guarianthe skinneri and Laelia rubescens are orchids from the Cattleya group of orchids and they can handle 3-4 months with no rain and hot dry weather no problem (I know wild plants that do it every year). But I don't intend to put these orchids through that. Though they will have to deal with the occasional 2-3 days if they are going to survive with me. I'm honestly more concerned with them getting fungal problems now in the rainy season.

Roberta 06-17-2021 08:54 PM

The website where you can look up parentage is OrchidsRoots

Rlc Siam White is a classic white hybrid - some really famous parents.

Shadeflower corrected the spelling of the second one, it is an unregistered cross.

Rlc La Guaria has very classic parents. Again, a very complex hybrid.

All should do fine in Costa Rica - a nice warm climate. Some shading would be very helpful, tropical sun can be pretty harsh. If you move them to more light, do it gradually. As far as watering/rain is concerned, if they're sufficiently well drained, so that they can dry out fast, they'll be fine. They don't want a dry period... if there were a period of cold a dry orchid can tolerate it better than a wet one. These all like to be on the warm side, though. Unless you're in the mountains, I doubt that cold would be an issue.

WaterWitchin 06-18-2021 09:38 AM

Thanks Roberta! It was BlueNanta I kept trying to remember. I really should bookmark that instead of trying to repeatedly remember. Duh.