Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   Epidendrum pseudepidendrum new growth affliction (https://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/107007-epidendrum-pseudepidendrum-growth-affliction.html)

Jmbaum 06-07-2021 11:45 AM

Epidendrum pseudepidendrum new growth affliction

4 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

Been getting beautiful flowers and sickly growth on my Epidendrum pseudepidendrum. I was hoping that as the temperature warmed up the plant would begin to flourish, but the new growth had dark spots and holes. I’m not sure if this is solely to do with rot or something I’m missing as a whole.

A little history, I purchased the plant from Andy’s last September, it was in a 4” net pot in sphagnum moss. A couple of the spindly pseudobulbs had leaves. Overall appearance was not what I’d call lush, but from what I understand, that’s par for the course with this species. I’ve Repotted into LECA after taking a look at the sparse unhappy roots a couple months ago. I’m growing it outdoors in Los Angeles 11mi inland, and bring the plant in if there’s extended temperatures below 60 F.

This plant seems to be a bit of an Achilles heel for me. I’m wondering if it’s just not going to be thrilled without a greenhouse and what is is going on with the new growth. I’m up for a challenge but will find it a home if it’s not going to be happy with me.

tmoney 06-07-2021 12:34 PM

hey....while i have no advice, i just wanted to chime in and say that the one epi we have has been one of the most challenging and stressing of the species we’ve gotten. we got one in march i think it was, and pretty much immediately dropped a bunch of leaves on young stalks and about 3 mature (already flowered) stalks (canes?) died as well. finally with spring it has shown 3 new growths, but honestly yours look way better and leafier/ denser. not sure, but the plant took on a really purple hue overall in the first couple weeks in our flat. anyway, just thought i could show a little empathy! best of luck....

Jmbaum 06-07-2021 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoney (Post 959587)
hey....while i have no advice, i just wanted to chime in and say that the one epi we have has been one of the most challenging and stressing of the species we’ve gotten. we got one in march i think it was, and pretty much immediately dropped a bunch of leaves on young stalks and about 3 mature (already flowered) stalks (canes?) died as well. finally with spring it has shown 3 new growths, but honestly yours look way better and leafier/ denser. not sure, but the plant took on a really purple hue overall in the first couple weeks in our flat. anyway, just thought i could show a little empathy! best of luck....

Empathy appreciated, sending empathy in return :/ . I’ve loved the look of the flower since I was a kid, there was big flash photo of the plasticky flower and was always on my list to grow. The experience has just continues to make me uneasy. But the flowers definitely exceed expectations. Up top it’s actually flowering for the second time in a few months. Probably out of desperation lol.
I will say that Epicatt Rene Marquez ‘Tyler’ (pictured) does much better, similar to its parent in look, but many more and larger flowers lightly fragranced in a sturdier plant. I’d pick this over the ‘flamethrower’ cultivar, compact hcc/aos, but plant isn’t near as strong.

Chani 09-26-2021 09:45 PM

I know this is several months old, but did you ever figure out what was causing that affliction? I've been experiencing the same thing with my epidendrum.

Jmbaum 09-26-2021 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chani (Post 969236)
I know this is several months old, but did you ever figure out what was causing that affliction? I've been experiencing the same thing with my epidendrum.

I think it was too much moisture in leaf axil, generally this species seems a bit weary and spindly in most scenarios…. Even ones I’ve seen growing in greenhouses. My plant decided to try again with another shoot and it seems to be going better with more careful watering practices.

estación seca 09-27-2021 01:18 PM

I didn't see this earlier. The photos appear classic for insufficient water for a reed-stem Epi. I've noticed Andy uses moss baskets for plants needing to stay wet, not just damp. Moving such a plant to LECA I would water every day until new roots form. It's not on the Web site now but he usually suggests how often to water.

Jmbaum 09-27-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 969282)
I didn't see this earlier. The photos appear classic for insufficient water for a reed-stem Epi. I've noticed Andy uses moss baskets for plants needing to stay wet, not just damp. Moving such a plant to LECA I would water every day until new roots form. It's not on the Web site now but he usually suggests how often to water.

Perhaps inconsistency then, because I was giving it far too much water, and prior to having RO. That moss Andy uses, never does appreciate me. The new growth seems better off, I water it 4 or 5 days a week, avoiding the leaves.

Aceetobe 09-27-2021 07:00 PM

It could be the coolness at the night where you are causing the rot.

Does he grow it outside? I always thought it was a warmer grower.

Roberta 09-27-2021 11:07 PM

That one is a warm grower, I'm sure that Andy grows it warm. (The tag should indicate... if it is I/W he's growing in the greenhouse) He grows a lot outside, but those are likely to be labeled C/I or sometimes I. ("I" at Andy's has several meanings... it could be truly intermediate (not below 50 deg F), it could be one that he didn't know when he first got it -almost everything grows intermediate, he experiments from there and doesn't necessarily update the computer, or he may want to sell it in Florida where people won't buy anything with "C" and so he labels it "I") So "I" means "Inquire" ;)

Jmbaum 09-28-2021 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 969326)
That one is a warm grower, I'm sure that Andy grows it warm. (The tag should indicate... if it is I/W he's growing in the greenhouse) He grows a lot outside, but those are likely to be labeled C/I or sometimes I. ("I" at Andy's has several meanings... it could be truly intermediate (not below 50 deg F), it could be one that he didn't know when he first got it -almost everything grows intermediate, he experiments from there and doesn't necessarily update the computer, or he may want to sell it in Florida where people won't buy anything with "C" and so he labels it "I") So "I" means "Inquire" ;)

Inquire for sure… it was in the greenhouse, which one I’m not certain… but I believe it was actually getting a lot of sun…. I’m growing it in a balcony but… perhaps I’ll consider migrating it indoors this year.